Saturday, May 4, 2024

progressing

I do love trying new things in my work and have several sketchbooks full of small samples to prove it

lately I've been pin-tucking fabric to create the look of cracked ice and the other day I finished the first sample of taking that idea further

the fabric pieces were sewn to paper, machine-stitched, and then much of the paper removed with water

white gesso was applied to both the front and back

I've placed it on a piece of watercolour painted blue to see if it had the effect of an icy river

pretty happy with it though I already have a plan for a different version

one thing truly does lead to another and I'm keen to make the next version


not for a bit though as I've travelled through the mountains to the wide prairie of Alberta

a landscape of lines...

lines of fencing

lines of trees


a line of clouds on the horizon

field lines

cut lines

ditch lines


I brought limited supplies, just  a few things to try small ideas

keep my hands busy in quiet moments

today I started this

a splash of water with tinted charcoal

a scrap of brown for wood

another of blue-grey line patterned Japanese tissue paper

and now some stitched wooden pilings - my intention is to stitch them all the way across and think about what comes next...


same song, different tune

2 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

Oh so many lovely lines.. they had my fingers searching for a pencil! I love your resourcefulness in using what limited supplies you have. And that first piece is exquisite!

Rachel said...

Something to suggest those endless skies...