Sunday, May 26, 2024

continuing...

its been a week of just about anything but being creative but today I found a pocket of time to begin the next lesson

not many decent landscape pictures to choose from in my photos but I found one taken in the Lake District in the UK in 2017


converted to black & white



clock-wise from the top: shape, texture, value and edges

I really enjoyed edges, it was fun experimenting with the charcoal and I also enjoyed the texture drawing - the value one is the least successful, mostly because I was kinda sorta mostly following what was in the image but I think I will have another try at it, this time changing them in an attempt to improve the composition

apparently artistic license is a thing!






once I finish the next four in this series I have another image, one from the Yukon, I'll have a go with and when I've done that I want to try again with an image from here in Salmon Arm

practice, practice, practice

4 comments:

gracie said...

You are so talented...looking forward to the completed project.

Christine Barnes said...

Is this the drawing course? I wish I had been able to access it.. it looks so up my street. Your drawings are so interesting.. different versions and approaches to the same image. I really don't think your tonal study was unsuccessful. Quite the opposite... it is a very good Notan study. (remember that word lol?). I look forward to seeing more from this course.

Rachel said...

That photo made a great starting point, didn't it!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I found myself surprised at the difference between the colourized and the B&W version of the photo. Of course I've read about the wisdom of converting photos to B&W but don't think I've seen it be quite so eye-opening.
Looking at the four images I can understand why you leaned towards the 'edges' version because, to my eye, that's much like the art you've been doing all along.