Saturday, May 11, 2024

interpretations

interpretation (noun): a stylistic representation of a creative work

we all know nature does the best creative work... breaking the rules or following them, nature's hand is sure and deft, the results cause us to sometimes catch our breath in awe and others to sit quietly in repose

not really trying to accomplish either with my work, more just a desire to try and fashion something that comes close visually whilst at the same time helps me gain an understanding of what has drawn me to notice a particular moment in place and time

what is it about a stark winter landscape that I love so much?

I believe I'm coming closer to understanding that now - it's something to do with the quietness of it

it's just rather all encompassing I think... quiet colours, quiet sounds, quiet shapes - a time of stillness in sound and growth

the world rests and I rest in it


the sliver of open water, a flash of turquoise softly surrounded by a gleaming white

texture on texture


not aiming for a direct translation - too much attachment to getting too many details right when learning on a landscape I love

instead, winter somewhere

a mountain, a few trees, snow and ice

a flash of water


click on the bottom image to get a better view of my attempts at granulating snow and ice where the water flows


this was my second attempt and it comes pretty close I think

I've learned a lot over the past week about tinted charcoal pencils and paint pans - it's not the easiest media to work with though my struggles were not helped by using hot pressed watercolour paper

nor were they helped by only having water brushes with me - not a fan of them either but thankfully I have  proper travel brushes so they will be going with me from now on

that's the thing though,  I try and keep trying, until I figure it out

there's more to learn but this has me feeling some hope that I can, and I will

3 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

Winter is also Nature's time for mark making which she excels at by reducing her pallet to monotone and focussing on her line work. Her techniques lends themselves beautifully to the nature of your own art. You respond so sensitively to it by producing artwork which demonstrates your time and patience in understanding the stories she tells and then to retell them straight from your heart with your own interpretations..

Rachel said...

I think you are right about hot-pressed paper. It has a place, but for anything where the texture of the paper can materially enhance an effect, I always go for cold-pressed or even Rough!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like the 'I try and keep trying, until I figure it out' statement. Isn't that what most artists do? I know there's certainly a lot of trial and error in MY life when it comes to creating my landscapes.
I love how you've captured that wonderful icey blue in the water area.