Tuesday, June 7, 2022

seeking simplicity

home again... figuring out how to pick up where I left off

it takes time to become familiar with things in the studio... questions tumbling through my head, one after the other, trying to sort out what I was trying to achieve

stepping away from this work for two weeks turned out to be a very good thing

it's given me time and space to think, to consider what I'm trying to achieve, why I seem to struggle with my work more often than not

I have an idea, begin to work on it, am delighted (usually) with the early stages and then hit a great big thick brick wall, stymied as to what comes next

last week while pondering that yet again, I asked myself why I'm so sure there is something that comes next

I was following along with a free  one week painting course and an oft asked question was "How do you know when your painting is finished?"

easy, I thought... it's finished when you can't think of anything else you can add that will make it better and there is nothing that you want to take away or fix

as that thought flashed through my mind I wondered if the same reasoning could be applied to my other work

is the reason I draw a blank and don't what to do next because it's actually done?

I rejected the idea out of hand - the work would be too simple then, far too understated

again, I questioned that

yesterday, in search of writing paper, I opened a drawer in the studio and found a note I had written a while ago

"seeking the simple"

hmmm...

 a little research seemed in order and so I searched "simplicity" on google and found some interesting quotes

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak."
-Hans Hofmann

"Simplicity is a choice, a discrimination, a crystallization. It's object is purity."
- Le Corbusier

"Simple can be harder than complex."
- Steve Jobs


so for now, simplicity it is



there is a feeling of relief in that acceptance, a settling of sorts



I'm still working with ice and snow and frozen branches

now "doing" more than "thinking"

picking up the brush, scissors and/or needle and seeing what comes of it

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Simplicity is really hard - but maybe you do need to trust yourself more, when you can't find something to do, maybe the piece is finished!

Christine Barnes said...

This is a thought provoking piece which speaks directly to my very similar challenges. Plenty in here to think about when I feel I am forcing my process into areas that feel discordant with my flow of work. Always the question, ‘what next’… feeling that my work is getting contrived. There are some quotations here that I will be copying into my studio note book… and these will include quotes from your good self amongst those well known names:

‘why (am I) so sure there is something that comes next?’ ;

‘it's finished when you can't think of anything else you can add that will make it better and there is nothing that you want to take away or fix’ ;

‘I draw a blank and don't what to do next because it's actually done’

I would like to throw something into the pot. Sometimes I feel a big project coming on, create one or two or just a few little exploratory pieces and then feel sated… but somewhat guilty. My ‘grand project’ seems to have shrunk somewhat or finished. Why do I always feel I need to force it further?.. maybe my question has been answered and my small discoveries can be stored for future use… and I can let myself move onto that tantalising pile of ideas for another ‘grand project’ sitting right next to me on my work table. Is it wrong to jump about from one thing to another? Is it wrong to just enjoy following where my curiosity leads me without a specific purpose other than just scratching an itch? Why do I actually need to complete a significant body of work always? I can, and do do this sometimes and it is immensely satisfying but perhaps my meanderings are just as important and form a body of work in themselves. For me the process of just working to satisfy an idea for its own sake is hugely enjoyable and maybe sometimes that is enough. Maybe that is also why I work in sketchbooks for my drawing and painting rather than producing finished paintings for the wall.

Thank you for this post… and apologies for the wordy reply… I’m thinking aloud :)

gracie said...

I think we all can benefit from more simplicity in our lives. Thank you for reminding me.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oddly I had been struggling with the landscape I just finished and kept staring at it without knowing where I wanted it to go. I kept trying to force it into submitting to having a border because I thought it should. IT on the other hand wasn't happy about that and insisted it simply didn't need one. My words on my blog post were something along the line of my needing to get out of my own way and just do. Reading what you've said here reinforces that. Resident Chef was a bird carver at one time and we laughed when his brother said carving was simple because 'you just take off anything that doesn't look like a bird' - same principle of simplicity but most often easier said than done.

Createology said...

Our interior designer said very softly. “Less is more.” I can really relate to this advice. I tend to complicate everything and over fill every space which ends in a cluttered look. Less is more really simplifies everything for me. I love your words of wisdom dear.