Saturday, December 4, 2021

ever present

for as long as I can remember, making things for Christmas has been my favourite 

I love everything about it and every year I am inspired anew

a grey folder has been home to various templates and a pile of drawings, lists of thread colours and stitching notes... in another basket is a small stack of stitch samples

the other day, sifting through it all, I thought it might be nice to gather it all together and put it into a book... 

a Christmas ideas book

I began with the snowflakes


a stitch sample I made a couple of years ago


threads I've used for them plus this year's woad


several months ago I bought a journal made of khadi paper 
 I had been wanting khadi paper for a different stitching project but it was sold out on every website I looked at except one that had journals... the price was comparable to a package of paper of the same size so I shrugged and thought why not? 

easy enough to take apart 

but then it arrived and was far too beautiful to do any such thing

glad of that now as it's the perfect book for this

below, a page from the book torn into four pieces, one each for sampling stitch, sketch, script and watercolour

I've only ever stitched on khadi paper so I need to test my paint and pens to see what works and what doesn't 


more stitching and samples of cardstock


next is sketching, a pattern page and some quotes and phrases


planning has begun on the pages for trees

there are so many ways to stitch them - these are just a few of the ways I've done them over the years


looking at them, thinking about what it would look like if I stitched them as forest, had me remembering these words from the poem by Robert Frost, which led me to a notebook of Christmas and winter quotes, phrases, and poems, copied out in calligraphy twenty-two odd years ago whilst taking a course in calligraphic writing


I'm tired of having things scattered around the studio, having to search here and there to find them when I need them

the inspiration pile is growing by the minute as I remember bits of stationery, vintage Christmas cards, gift tags I've saved for years

it'll be nice to have one place for all of it


7 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

I can testify that you are really good at Christmas and I love this idea. I have Khadi books and paper and I found it took a little while to get used to the paper which is gorgeous to work with once it has found it’s niche. It’s lovely to stitch on and I have one book I use just for my Japanesque acrylic gouach paints. It seems perfect for your purpose. Oh and I love Robert Frost’s poetry!

susan hemann said...

such a lovely idea, gathering them all together, your pages are beautiful

Rachel said...

The watercolourist Hazel Soan uses khadi paper a lot, so it should take watercolours very nicely.
I love your little forest!

Lynn Holland said...

A Christmas journal, what a lovely idea
But then I love all your ideas
Lynn xx

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Lovely - as always

Blessings this holiday to you and yours

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I admit it. I'm guilty. Guilty of waiting to read your posts until I know I have time to savour them. This one was a good example of why waiting is a good thing. I loved seeing your samples but I think it was your words that I appreciated the most this time. I have toyed with making stitch samples but haven't gotten far enough into the process to go beyond that. Who knows, maybe you've given me the inspiration I need!

Marj Talbot said...

Great idea - all Christmas in one book. Hope it's a big one as I know you have many many ideas and skills for all things Christmas.
I love to see them all - you have such a huge gift - so talented.
To you and all your followers - may peace and joy abound this Christmas season and always.