Friday, December 31, 2021

continuing...

as for everyone, it's been busy days here...

I do love this time between Christmas and New Years though, the days slip by in a relaxed, easy kind of way

the first few are spent tidying away the remnants of  wrapping and decorating: snippets of paper and ribbon, ornaments that have lost their hangers, stacks of books that needed to be moved to make room for company, etc. etc.

the last two have been spent organizing my studio, preparing for what comes next

I'm still working on my Christmas ledger, snatching moments of time here and there, laying out page compositions only to sweep them aside and try again

the latest one was a title page for the trees... Christmas trees, of course, but also trees of the winter forest 

I found a vintage Christmas card, one of a half-dozen I bought in an antique store in Burnaby about ten years ago - they will all find their way to these pages eventually, but for now, this one has found a home


I also sorted out all the green embroidery thread I use the most and have been grouping them and wrapping thread cards to add in the days and weeks to come as I do yet more stitch samples

in the meanwhile, I had a few samples I had begun of poinsettia's that I wanted to work on... thinking about greenery, inspired by this small tag...


plain outline sketches, templates, ideas for stitching petals and leaves - I can't stitch as fast as the ideas come but at least I'm creating a place to record them

the challenge is not to get too precious about the samples but once I start one I have this notion that it has to be "right"... so I ask myself,  is this meant to be a record of the development of the idea, or the culmination? 


for the one above, the plan is to stitch a different piece of greenery in the spaces between the petals to illustrate varying options... below is a sample where I want fabric leaves but the linen/cotton fabric is too dark of a green for my liking and the leaves, too "predictable" so I am going to remove them... the next choices are below - pale sage greens, right side or wrong? 

these are the decisions, and ultimately, the samples, that I am continually revising



what I know for sure is I love the petals done this way and I'm pretty happy with the centre though I think it needs to be more open - I want to sample a variety of threads for centres so I'm working on a plan for that, both the doing and the presentation


I'm enjoying this work very much, it's a nice way of easing back into making but it is also nice to finally be continuing on with some of these stitched samples that have been kicking around for many, many years 

I'll be working on it all through the year I think, getting what I already have safely attached and developing some of the ideas further


I'll leave you now, with best wishes for the year ahead...

so many of the struggles of the old year will be continuing on into the new, there's no magic re-set button for any of it or any of us but I look forward to it just the same... optimistic, realistic, accepting, and determined to do better... seems like a lot of contradictions in terms but I suppose I'm like that

peace and goodwill to all of you

and a heartfelt thank you for being here

7 comments:

susan hemann said...

I enjoy your posts so much! Your poinsettia is lovely! I like the green fabric leaves too. The sample book is such a wonderful way to preserve your work for the future, all contained in the book.

Rachel said...

Wishing the same for all of us.

I think you do have some interesting ideas to play with there, but I agree, it can be hard sometimes to be sure whether it is a Sample, a Demonstration, or A Finished Thing, and if one usually does a Finished Thing, any other variation is just so hard to do!

RhondaDort.com said...

I love what you’re doing here!

Unknown said...

Living on Norfolk Island, home of the Norfolk Island pine, I often try to capture pine trees in embroidery. The best technique I have found is to do a trunk in stem or chain, then make the branches using a small and "untidy" blanket stitch.

Marj Talbot said...

I so love the little book ideas to save your projects. I'm of the age group that would say - oh I remember that, now how did I do that?
I love the "peace" project. So delicate and so well stitched. Perfect!!!

Christine Barnes said...

Lovely quiet post and such lovely gentle images. Christmas is often a time for reflection and seeking peace so what a lovely theme to keep that feeling going all year with this project. I am going to enjoy following your progress on it.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The thought occurred to me when I was reading the part about the various options for poinsettia leaves...what if (because this is a book of sampling)...you were to create each of the leaves in a different technique? That way it would show various options that would be useable with flowers in the future. Maybe not what you'd want to do because our first inclination is to strive for perfection, but thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.