Monday, August 3, 2009

Design Dilemmas


For the past three days I have been busy working on projects for my Christmas Cupboard classes - and since I want all the projects to be of my own design I have a lot to do! I decided to start with the table runner (as that will likely be the biggest project in the series so I want to get it out of the way first) and thought stars/snowflakes. Below is a photo of the first rendition of the block design; I was very happy with it on paper but not so much once it was sewn. It seems more like a cross than a star and while pretty enough, not at all what I was after.


Version 1


So back to the drawing board, literally! I wondered how it would look if I took the red star points further up the square, rather than having them meet up with the small black squares. A few line erases later and quick pencil sketch and a much better design emerged. The star is very "starry" and pointy and the block looks more dramatic.


Version 2

In the red colouration it looks starry but I think I will rustle one up in blue and bet it will look more like a snowflake.

It's amazing to me how much more I like the second version and the only difference was extending the star points. I just wish I could have seen it when I was at the sketch stage, but I was in denial and had to sew all three before I finally admitted to myself that I didn't like it! Designing for me is often a two steps forward, one step back kind of process and just once I would like a bee-line!



No comments: