Saturday, August 15, 2026

taking it in

an off hand request for me to take the kids to daycare on Friday quickly turned into an early morning opportunity to spend a quiet hour at the river downtown

coffee and raspberry pecan scone in hand from a favourite bake shop, I found a perfect sit-spot just down from the walking path, on a large, flat slab-rock of granite

the swift swirling flow of the river never fails to startle me

this morning, whilst letting my eyes slide along with the current I noticed the faint gurgling of the water as it came up against a thing or two along it's way

a bird chirped faintly across the river, a squirrel chattered nearby

I let the sunlight settle over me... a glowing, golden warmth

the world settled




other than an edit to straighten a slight tilt in the river bank, these photos are untouched, the current marks not sharpened in any way

this is exactly as they are

and such a surface it is!




the sewing machine is coming out next week and I'm going to have a go at emulating some of this with a little free-motion embroidery

wish me luck!

the sewing machine is not my strong-suit, but thankfully, some of the stitching will be done by hand will be done by hand




I've been researching current marks on rivers and what causes them

it's all to do with volume of water and the shape and features of the river bed

disruptions below cause disruptions above

as I was framing the view below to take the photo I noticed the water to the left of the pilings was somewhat calmer on the surface than the water to the right

the pilings disrupt the flow, making for a break in the current; thus, fewer marks




the water current is a visible record of every change the river has endured or created




many years ago a child skips stones across a river's surface...

they fall slowly to the riverbed, slightly altering it's surface

the water shifts a tiny fraction

a new ripple forms

a memory takes shape

the water flows

No comments: