Saturday, November 11, 2023

sight seeing

whitehorse, last winter, the morning sun finally rising, sometime around 11:00 am 

some find the darkness difficult but I have always loved it... dark, cozy mornings where you can take your time to face the day

on my way there again, tomorrow

a settled feeling drapes over me as I step on Yukon soil and look out at a landscape I know in my bones 
and I am home again


there's a long list of places I want to be

 things to think about

photos to take

there's a hankering to spend time by the river, watching the current swirl across the surface

and another to think about the flotilla that set sail from Lake Bennett to Dawson City in late May of 1898

I'm completely taken with the sails, the shape of them, the varying sizes, the mast down the centre line - some were made out of cotton duck, many were patched together from whatever fabric could be obtained


most of all I'm looking forward to the trees


I want to draw trees this time, the tall skinny trees that captivate me 

it's their scrubby resilience that inspires me, the crooked and twisted forms that battle to live 

a true embodiment of the north

and then there are the ravens

I used to think they were the peskiest of birds but now I rather like their antics

so trees and ravens, perhaps a raven in a tree, though that's a rather uncommon sight up there if I remember correctly - you usually see them on the ground

and something with the sails...


4 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

So interesting to see the photo of the present followed by the photo of the past and I love the image of the tree against the fabric. Is it stitched or is it images overlaid? I am entranced by the starkness of the tree marks against the cosy warmth of the cloth. It is beautiful! To me, it conveys so much about the basic need for comfort in a sometimes harsh and difficult environment from the past. Have a wonderful trip!

Rachel said...

What a poetic combination of words and pictures. And such a magnificently improvisatory set of boats!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful country there in the north. Enjoy your stay. Looking forward to your posts.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous above is me. Marj. 😂