Friday, November 24, 2023

river and sky

a walk along the river today


a dark day

sun low in the sky

glimmers of light skim the water's surface, as fleeting as the patterns of the current


swirling and whirling, the water silently flows swiftly by


sky and water,  light and shadow

the ageing pilings of the shipyard docks line the riverbank

 sentinels of history,  of a time, of a place



like the images of people waiting at the docks for the paddle wheelers to arrive 

huddled in groups, they wait... or watch?

I am drawn to them, their weather-worn exterior, jagged tops and leaning stature - how long have they been there? 

at least 100 years or more


and below, a meandering view that is new to me, opened up by the growth of the city and an extension of the walking path along the river

a delightful back channel meandering along the main one, the river dotted with small islands for a while

no sketchbook but thankfully my camera


catching up with old friends this week left little time for creative pursuits but I've been experimenting with ways of depicting the mountains 

folded white Japanese paper for a background, mountains cut from an old photograph, painted cloth, painted paper and coloured pastel paper


I like the image of the trees cut into a mountain shape and want to expand on that idea


 clean lines, especially in the folded paper...  I'm liking the graphic nature of them and imaging a larger version with even more folds to use as a base for other work

figuring out how to do that is a whole different thing though and will likely involve several trials using plain newsprint and a few choice words



5 comments:

Suztats said...

Beautiful in it's starkness, it's simplicity of line.

Christine Barnes said...

First a walk along the river with you.... such breathtaking photos! And then your interpretations of the mountains which conjour up the jagged remoteness and untouchable beauty of that landscape. What a treat to wake up to this morning! I love the effect you have achieved with the paper folding along with the collage.

Rachel said...

Much better to take a camera than stand in the snow with a sketchbook, and I like where you a going!

gracie said...

Beautiful pictures. I like your paper folding is perfect.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love that moody sky in the first photo - something I've tried to emulate with the shaving cream/paint process. Perhaps I'll succeed with my next efforts, who knows.
The paper folding reminds me somewhat of crazy quilting and raises the ponderment over why wouldn't paper work for a crazy quilt design.