Saturday, April 8, 2023

snow day

this last week here has been spent doing the things not yet done... walking old neighbourhoods, visits with friends and painting with snow

still wanting backgrounds to work further into and using the graphite and gold paint I bought here, the quest was for something simple... paint dropped in to water and moving how and where it would followed by spatters of gold, sometimes mixed with the graphite paint, sometimes not


this next one with a bit of french ultramarine blue and burnt sienna, then the graphite and gold

when it dried I was reminded of the placer miners, scrabbling in the muck of their claims along the creeks - may just leave this one but a sketchy cabin could look pretty interesting on it... hmm



the last tissue paper collage i did got a wash of gold followed by the graphite - thinking about hitting the high points with something dark, perhaps charcoal here and there and then see where they'll take me next




the sketches on the work from the last post have begun and will hopefully be finished before i leave as well as the cabin i mentioned above

it's been a long slow progression with all the works done here but a most enjoyable one - no need to feel like things had to move along quickly... life slows down in the presence of little ones and that way of being seems to have found it's way into my work as well

i definitely want to "pack" that way of working to take home  with me

4 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

Exciting images here. I love the second one down. To me it resembles corroded metal... perhaps a rusted corrugate iron roof of that hut you are mulling over.

India said...

Thanks for providing such a great resource for learning

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My 'idea' from my previous comment I see has been acted upon already (should have known...lol). I am loving the addition of the wee droplets of gold here and there.

Rachel said...

Well, I am sure that the ideas will follow you home. Managing to maintain the working practices may be a little trickier!