Sunday, October 30, 2022

editing...

lately it's been all about the edit

piles and stacks of painted and printed papers, all different weights and transparencies - so many variations though only one theme

ice

it feels as though i've been working with ice for ages but the fascination has not abated at all - in fact, it seems to expand, again and again

just like the real thing

for the past few weeks i've been working at finishing a concertina book I started last march


above is a print done with acrylic paint and ink on a gelli-plate

next is a painted version - heavy-body acrylic paint for extra texture and ink for colour


below - an experiment done a week ago

another gelli-plate print, acrylic paint and ink again but this time I crumpled the paper before printing, over and over, as if for momigami

smoothed on the plate but no pressure from a baren or brayer, just my hands, and then only lightly

when I removed the paper I left as it was, still wrinkled

when I glued it to the book page the wrinkles pressed out but they had already worked their magic, forcing the paint to dry in a way that created the look of cracked ice 


and this last page, a collage of linen, paper, paint and ink

a ragged frozen shoreline


and this last photo - one taken by a friend in the yukon... mountains up in kluane

stunning as they are, i couldn't resist trying a few edits - some ruthless cropping followed by this filter called "silvertone" which is rapidly becoming a favourite 


i'm embarking on a new course of learning - printmaking, using photos and drawings... editing, cropping, re-arranging, layering etc. etc.

fascinating stuff  

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My goodness, you do seem to be having fun. You are finding so many possibilities!

Christine Barnes said...

You seem to be in your element at the moment, thriving on the surprises that each little flurry of experimental activity brings and bouncing off each on to another. I am quite spell bound by the effects you have achieved and the concertina book you have created. So glad it got a place in the exhibition… a very well deserved place!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's endlessly fascinating to see the roads you follow and what you discover along the way. Once again you've inspired me to muster my courage (maybe!) and attempt a landscape in b&w. It's always 'there' in the back of my mind but I keep tamping it down thinking that I'm not good enough to attempt it. Won't know unless I try I guess.