Saturday, August 6, 2022

Layers

been a busy few weeks here in these parts...

lots of "doings" as my Grandmother would have said

I've been mucking around with trying to abstract something and it hasn't been going very well so yesterday I had a think about why not and decided layers was the answer

 I've been using a previous piece of work as an inspiration/starting point - it's handmade textured paper embedded with rose petals and ferns to which I added scraps of lace and fabric followed by machine embroidery on top... trails of tiny circular stitches meandering here and there, catching the edges of the lace and fabric, holding them in place,  adding texture to the whole

I began my first few samples with a piece of muslin and then added scraps of paper and fabric to create a base followed by bits of lace added here and there

I didn't like them much - too contrived I think

I tried added some random stitches, creating and then breaking up patterns but that wasn't working either

yesterday I got fed up with trying to force things so after a bit of finger drumming I realized what I wanted was layers... glimpses of lace and cloth here and there, with scraps of paper... hints of things caught in layers

I gathered up a pile of lace and cloth scraps and then rooted through a box of paper and started tearing strips and chunks... some plant-based glue, a soft brush and several sticky fingers later I had collaged/assembled/layered half a dozen small surfaces that once dried would give me a new playing field

this morning they were finally dry


all in a stack... layers yes, and edges too...


tissue paper, scrim, broadcloth, silk, lace, handmade paper

it was a sticky, messy job layering all of those bits and pieces but the results are what I wanted and now comes the stitching


I love how the lace shows through the tissue paper on this - softened but still very visible


and on this one a few hints of blue

seems layers are all around right now... I went to Margaret Falls   a few days ago... a beautiful canyon across the lake,  a waterfall at the end of the short hike in... 


to give you a sense of scale... here's an image where my son's girlfriend climbed along one of the leaning trees




as I walked the trail I noticed the sides of the canyon were composed of thin layers of rock that crumbled easily... some golden brown, others almost black


I emptied a zippered pocket in my bag and filled it with a variety of small rocks found on the edge of the path

it's my intention to grind these up and make watercolour paint with them...


and then I can paint the rocks

with the rocks themselves!

4 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

I love how you are seeing the natural world in layers. You are right and I pondered your words as I walked through the wood here. There were hidden layers under my feet in the compressed fallen leaves that revealed themselves as I pushed them apart with the toe of my shoe and there were layers of trees and bushes as I peered into the wood from the path. Layers of scales on the sycamore trees and layers of new plants pushing through old. I also became aware that the wood is layered with sound… of the trees creaking and rustling underneath the sound of birds and brushed over with the sound of the wind or rain and smells too layered on the breeze. Thank you for heightening my senses today with this post.

Createology said...

Hello Jillayne. Your sweet inquisitive style is very calming and relaxing. I adore the layers of rock that you will grind and make into watercolor to paint with. The layers you have created with laces, paper and other delicate fabrics is such a textural joy to behold. I need to take a walk…however it is way too hot here in the desert.

Rachel said...

You might find that some of the rocks can be used a bit like crayons, too. Worth a try, although they may be too hard..

The layers are working nicely. It sounds as though in a way the earlier attempts were a little to organised for your mood.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Loved the thought of sticky fingers - at least in this application anyway. You've create some wonderful bases for further exploration although I have to say, if it were me, I'd find it hard to stitch into them for fear I'd ruin what was already pretty amazing. Pefectionism once again!
I must admit I never would have thought of grinding rocks and making paint with them. Will be watching with interest to see the results of that.