Saturday, May 7, 2022

trapped in ice...

spring may be sprouting all around me but my head, and it seems my heart, are both still trapped in ice...

one of the things talked about in the "Inspired by Nature" course is "pockets of time" and how to make the most of those

I've known of this concept since my children were tiny tots; an article in mom's magazine called it "found time"... the minutes here and there, throughout your day, when you're waiting on something

potatoes to boil

a child to pick-up

bath time to be over

and how you could use that found time to work on small portable projects

to that end, my children still remember my needle case and a piece of stitching, sitting on the table morning, noon and night and me picking it up several times each day and adding a stitch or two

in that way, I accomplished a lot of stitching without having to dedicate specific time to it

pockets of time is the same, knowing what to work on and taking advantage of short periods of time to do it... and the results pile up

I've been making use of all sorts of found time lately - this week it's still all about ice and paint

working out presentation ideas for a concertina book showcasing all the techniques we've covered in the class
{I think this is a brilliant idea and will do it for each class I take from now on - a small book with a sample of each technique/idea; there are always off-cuts and small pieces that don't quite fit in but have value and keeping them all together in a small book format as a reference to a particular course or technique would be a nice thing to look back on for quick visual reminders}

painted paper with embossing


painted paper with embossed strips


collage with embossed strips

the one above is a sample done long before this course but it's giving me an idea for a way of abstracting the ice which I am working on today


gelli print on tissue paper

the images above and below were done with the last of the paint on my tray - roughly brushed onto the gelli plate, thoughts of sun on water in my head

the one above is the first pull, below is the second, also referred to as a "ghost" print

ghost print on copy paper

the print below was done with thoughts of the branches frozen into the ice

I made a printing plate using branches I picked up the day I first went down there for a late winter wander; glued to a piece of book board and sealed with gloss medium, a fabric handle affixed to the back, I can press it onto the inked/painted gel plate 

before using it I pressed crumpled tin foil onto the paint first


and this last one is using the tin foil only


as you can see, it's happy, busy days in the studio and the stack of painted and printed papers continues to grow

using my own papers to create with is one of the most satisfying things I've done in a very long time; it's another layer in the creative process and allows me to make work that is even more unique to me

it's sticky and messy, the results are always mixed, and it's just plain fun

I've a little more I want to try in my ice explorations and then I'll break out and try some branches

then rocks
and trees
and of course, sky
flowers - can't forget the flowers
.
.
.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

You have made some interesting pieces there. I'm somewhat envious of anyone who can get a decent result with two or three stitches at a time - it doesn't work for me!

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear your creative process always delivers amazing and wonderful results. I love your soft muted color schemes. I like the term “found time” and I need to be using mine more productively. Maybe sleep is overrated?!

Christine Barnes said...

Each one a stunning portrait of your subject. My favourite is 4th down… the light reflecting there is just gorgeous! I need bigger pockets (of time). Your ability and determination to get things done always amazes me.