Saturday, April 2, 2022

random things...

a quiet house again

it will take a day or two for me to re-group and familiarize myself with where I left off... what I was working on, what direction I had wanted the work to take

where to start

yesterday we took the little ones down to "The Little Lake" and poked around to see what we could see

one thing I noticed right away was this patch of small flowers - not quite as dramatic as an English Bluebell Wood but I'll take it just the same

I do love it when I see tiny flowers scattered through the grass, it really is the stuff of storybooks

come Monday I'll wander down there again and spend some time on my favourite rock - the ice is all gone now so there are no more branches locked in the ice but there will be no shortage of other interesting things

I am hoping to make it a weekly trek, weather permitting


after putting the house to rights this morning I spent some time in the studio familiarizing myself with a few things, enjoying a long look through a growing stack of gelli-prints and came across these two:

I think they are a bit darker than they appear here but it's not the colour that captured my attention, it's the marks that resulted from the printing process

I had dabbed a few colours of paint on the gelli plate, rolled them with a brayer to mix and then pressed copy paper on top - nothing fancy, yet it still resulted in some interesting marks

in the one below I see a mountain


and in the next one I see the ghostly outline of a cabin, with what look like crosses on the hill behind


turn either one and they look completely different

such an interesting process!

time to get busy then...


3 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

I see the mountain too but in the second one I see the head of a crow at the top and a large cross standing in water at the bottom. Those flowers are so pretty… every bit as pretty as bluebells… quite a startling blue. Bluebell wood will be blooming soon. How quickly the time comes around.

Rachel said...

It can be very hard to get back on track after excitements. But then again, one can see things anew..!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Sometimes it's hard to get back into the flow of things when there's been an interruption but, as Rachel said, you can see things anew. I like the idea of re-visiting the same spot regularly over the year. Be sure to remember your camera to record the changes and I'm sure you will find tons of inspiration for your work.