Saturday, March 26, 2022

little joys

it's been a busy week, filled with little joys

 open windows, spring cleaning, working in the garden, long walks, finishing some things, starting others, baby cuddles and playing cars with a three year old expert 

I worked on a thread colour study for this vignette of nature finds... thread-wrapped cards and a small colour and texture study of French knots and pin-pricking 


I've been enjoying my closer look at nature these past few weeks

it feels so good to be out in the sunshine and really paying attention to what's happening as the world wakes up from it's winter sleep

what I've found the most interesting is how the plants that have died over the winter look... at first glance they seem to all be variations of the same golden brown but there is actually a full spectrum of neutral colours - beautiful, soft versions of ivory, wheat, beige, tan, brown and black with lots of deep brown-reds in the mix

and don't get me started on the textures!

as well as all that, in my continuing desire to improve my sketching skills I have embarked on a new (somewhat) daily practice

three 5-minute sketches per day

(I say somewhat daily as I've missed two sessions this week thanks to the aforementioned baby and toddler)

here is the first set of three, along with the corresponding plant material  


I am loving doing this - it's short, absorbing, and now that I have a few of these behind me I am already noticing some differences

I'm starting each drawing immediately after setting the timer - no hesitation in where to begin at all, just pencil to the paper and go

the lines are getting less precise, more fluid

I'm getting quick enough that I have time for shading, adding texture and even some of the shadows now and again

I'm not wishing for an eraser
(I won't let myself use one)

I'm told if I keep at it for a month I'll be amazed at how much I will improve

a good week then... how about you?

what's new in your corner?


3 comments:

Rachel said...

Absolutely you'll see a difference. In fact, you already have.

I'm solemnly crocheting a trim for the Amarna Family!

Christine Barnes said...

So thrilled that you are sketching and yes you will improve over time but the best thing about sketching is that it makes us really look. You are already seeing more in the dead plants from last year. I wonder what it is like to grow as a new spring flower right next to the ghost of our last year’s self.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really do wish I could sketch but even with lots of practice I can't seem to create anything that looks remotely like what it's supposed to be. I've taken years to come to the realization that my artistry comes with needles, threads and cloth. Not a bad thing, but I still wish I could draw.
Hearing about your expert 3 year old car player makes me anxious for the next few weeks to pass because we have our plane tickets booked and will get to spend two glorious weeks with our 5 and 3 year old grandsons and brand new granddaughter. There will be LOTS of Lego playing in this Grandma's future I know and I suspect lots of story time too. Can't wait!