Saturday, September 11, 2021

this week...

this week was a week of lists

I have list issues... some days my ambitions are too grand for the time available and I get frustrated with seemingly accomplishing very little - other days the lists are too "thin"; either not enough tasks or not thought through...  whatever it is, I find I'm busy all day but there's hardly anything to cross off 

then there are the days that I write a list, thinking it through in a fairly detailed way and then I ignore it completely and get into something that occupies me for the rest of the day

yesterday was that day

whilst moving things from my work table so I could make said list I noticed my brand new pen nibs, just arrived from England

they came as an "assortment" so I needed to identify each and search for the description online so I would know whether it was for drawing, calligraphy/script, flexible or not, fine or extra-fine, and so on

but then how to store them? 
I wanted a system that would not be cumbersome, easy to get one out and put it away, and they definitely needed to labelled

I thought an envelope system might be ok but a chance image on Google that popped up whilst doing my searches led me on a website hop that finally ended with a very ingenious idea for pointed (dip) pen nib storage so that's where yesterday and today went, regardless of any list

a few pieces of cardboard and paper later...


a 3" x 4" flip "book" storage case


the cardboard is cut so the corrugation openings run vertically - they are perfect for sliding the end of a nib in

taped together, they flip easily to reveal each layer labelled with the number/name of each nib along with the category and manufacturer


I'm so thrilled with it - it takes up hardly any space at all and makes identifying and accessing the nibs a breeze 

it's perfectly clever! 


I've already decided I need a mini version for travel so I'm working on that design now but it occurred to me as I was writing this it might be a good way of storing paint brushes while travelling as well

hmmm...

the other thing that has impacted my list-discipline these days pertains to book-binding

I am making pages for books - I have several ideas but am beginning with pieced pages sewn together with the sewing machine

so many bits and pieces of paper tucked away here and there... I bumped into all of them whilst searching out cardboard and paper for the nib holder and decided something had to be done

not every page in a book will be a "manufactured" one, just a few tucked in here and there, almost like dividers in a way - that's the plan today anyway

I began with stitched strips


thinking about cattails, again


and again


one simple strip - debating...


more strips with lots of tiny hand-stitches... 


right now I know I'm over-thinking them but I'm hoping eventually I will make the decisions in a quicker more intuitive, less dithering kind of way

to make it easier on myself I'm going to make pages based on themes, the first being water, hoping that will give me direction and a guiding light to follow, especially needed as there somewhere in the vicinity of 300-400 scraps of paper spilling out of drawers and cupboards

it's either use them or figure out how to store them

there goes tomorrow's list...

6 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

A brilliant way to store the nibs. When you have drawing/writing or whatever on your daily list, these nibs will be easy to access. My challenge would be to put them back in their proper place when not in use.
So a book of your combined papers along with the nib case - perfect for travel.

Christine Barnes said...

Sheer genius with the pen nib storage… so organised as ever! I love the idea.
It’s a delight to see your book pages unfolding. I can probably match your bits of paper and I have also been looking with astonishment at how much fabric I have amassed. Book pages are a great way to use both… but that would be a lot of books to be made in a life time. Better get started! xxx

Rachel said...

The nib storage looks perfect - a really neat bit of design. I think the papers will come together as you do a bit more with them..

susan hemann said...

what a perfect way to store nibs! love the book pages too
as for lists, don't get me started, at least now I'm not the only one out there who struggles with making them effective lol

Lynn Holland said...

Pure storage genius for your nibs and as for your lists I say forget them your creating is much more interesting.
Stitching papers with the sewing machine is great fun.
Lynn xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Well, I just learned something! Who knew there were so many different options for pen nibs...wow. As for list making, I have often had noble thoughts of how great it would feel to have lists and how good it would feel to cross things off as they were completed. Unfortunately, I've made the lists and then mostly totally ignore them in favour of project piles instead. Hmmm....maybe a I need a really pretty book and some beautiful writing implements to create the lists.....do you suppose that would help me to actually use them?