Saturday, September 18, 2021

more or less

I had an idea a while ago to make books

and from that came another idea -  make boxes for said books

and because whenever I make two things that have to work together, and that never works out as it should, I spent a bit of time thinking about what should come first, the box or the books?

in the end I thought it would be easier to make the books to fit the box - books I know, boxes not so much

the box first then

I pieced together fabrics for the box cover and am now adding some stitch - not a lot, a few additions to plainer pieces of cloth, texture only

I began with feather stitch, thinking how lovely that would be but as I stitched the rows, I got about half-way through one of them and began to think it might look better done differently

something not so dense - actually, something not so complete

I sat and looked at it for a long time, not sure exactly what I wanted, a few ideas floating around, far enough on the horizons of my mind they were just too vague to make sense of at 9:30 in the evening


the next morning my thinking, though still rather vague, began to expand

I thought it would be a good idea to do some sketching, and perhaps even some stitch sampling to try to sort out what it seemed I might be thinking so I found a small sketchbook that had empty pages still

in flipping through it I familiarized myself with some work I had done last year that was centred on a theme of weathered wood

as I had progressed through various design ideas I began to think about how you can see a whole tree in a branch, in a leaf, in a pine cone...

the drawing below came from that


weathered, worn wood that was once a tall green tree

water and wind take their toll

the strips below developed from that thinking, the form taken from the wood, the embellishments, the sky and the earth... and of course the water


below, a page of tiny drawings extracted from the marks on two pieces of driftwood from the Yukon

I was thinking that in a way these marks form tiny maps of the wood's journey from a tree or branch, complete with bark and leaves, to what I held in my hand

a form of subtraction


I turned back to my stitching, picked up a pair of scissors and made a cut... pulled out some stitching, when I liked how it looked I stopped and tied off the ends

and then I did it again

and again


there are so many ways I could take this... my mind overflowing, fragmented images flowing through one after another, how to catch them before they slip away

I've got paper for sketching and linen for stitching and I'm ready to start

it's the strangest feeling, standing on the edge of excitement


5 comments:

Lynn Holland said...

I didn’t see it at first, the fragmentation, but then when I did what joy and I clapped applauding your bravery at making the cut.
And now I’m waiting to see what comes next.
Lynn xx

Karen said...

beautiful post, beautiful work Jillayne, the images are mouthwatering.
I love to read your thought process and the details you share of that x

Rachel said...

I love the idea of "standing on the edge of excitement"!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh, I love that...'standing on the edge of excitement"!!! It's the way I feel every time I start a new landscape, only I would have to add that there's a certain element of fear of the unknown in there too. I know I need to expand my abilities and not rely on keeping the status quo but it's not all that easy to accomplish. Once again, I look forward to seeing where you take your latest journey of excitement.

Christine Barnes said...

‘Standing on the edge of excitement’. Oh how I know that feeling which you put into words! Thrilling and a little scary and the mind is filled so much with it that there is room for little else. I felt it for you when I saw your stitches that remained after your thoughts and sketches brought you to the act of pulling them out…. And I thought ‘Yes! This is exactly right’! It is tempting to plough on with our first ideas but when we listen to our doubts and take a few steps back, work through it, how rewarding the results can be. Beautiful work! I am inspired as ever. And I will write your words down as a quote to remind myself always to seek out that feeling where my own work is concerned.