the return to Salmon Arm is rarely without a thud and a bang... I find the "re-entry" tough, especially during the warmer months
the sudden change from the clean, clear expanse of the north to the heat and busyness of the south, the air at times thick with humidity, the population and the automobile exhaust that goes along with that make me long for the deep green forests and mountains I leave behind
for the last few trips, during my first week back, I have given myself the gift of time... time to play in the studio, to immerse myself back in my creative work
time to do what I love whilst getting used to where I am
to do as I please - cooking, yes... yard work and cleaning, no
last week you saw my "noticings" book, finally filled with small sketches
this week I'm pleased to show another finish
the first of my work based on the snowy wind-rows I saw on the shore ice of the Yukon River two winters ago is finally finished
hand-stitched vintage linen, ink-dyed linen for the base, driftwood for the handle
it stands just 4" tall and is barely 2" wide across the front
inspired by this view
and began like that
the tiny, tiny textural stitches that are grouped here and there along the longer lines are barely visible, reading more as a disruption of the weave than anything else but the effect of roughness is there and that's all I wanted
the pouch itself was completed some months ago but was awaiting it's handle
none of the driftwood I had was right - too short, too long, too brown, too wide, too narrow, too straight
on it went
Goldilocks herself would have been impressed
but then this summer, as I sat on the shores of Kluane Lake
I found it
the beaches were littered with small pieces of twisted, bent driftwood in varying shades of grey and brown
right away I saw a small piece that looked exactly like what I had pictured in my mind as I sewed the pouch together
slightly crooked, arched, knobby, greyish, a few imperfections...
I didn't have the pouch with me to judge right there and then so just in case I gathered a few extra pieces but in the end the one that made me say
"Aha!"
was the right one after all
take care,
Jillayne

.jpeg)



No comments:
Post a Comment