Saturday, October 12, 2024

something new

a few weeks ago I came across a method of making books that focused on decorative stitching along the spine... decorative, yet functional as it is also how the book is constructed

as we're visiting at my sister-in-law's farm in Oregon it was the perfect thing to work on during quiet afternoons in the large barn conversion space that is used for all manner of creative work

rather than trying to learn the stitching pattern whilst actually constructing the book I tried a few that looked intriguing, doing them on strips of the cover papers

and am I glad I did!

they are not at all difficult but working out the best spacing for the stitches, thickness of thread for certain stitches and contrast preferences (thread to paper) proved to be a challenge; as with embroidery, some stitches just look better with low contrast and others shine with high


the thread I used was valdani pearl cotton in either a 12 or an 8 weight

when I get home I'll try a few with a 5... for the most part I think 12 is too fine


these samples will all go into my book-binding sketchbook and used as a reference - easy to make a choice when looking at these than a photograph or stitch diagram


and finally, a couple of photos 

 the first is sunrise south of Summerland the day we left


and this next one is a barn-shed on the hilltop across the valley... we climbed high on the hill directly behind the barn for this view


heading home on Tuesday, it's been a quick trip but a delightful one in every way


No comments: