Saturday, August 17, 2024

on being displaced


and so I came home...

after being in the Yukon for one day short of eight weeks I struggle to believe this is home but home it is

it all feels quite out of whack

to fight off the aimless feelings of disconnect,  I started the process of cataloguing all of my finds... driftwood, rocks, pressed flowers, burlap, feathers and so on

as I gathered things throughout my stay I set up a simple labelled storage system, a ziplock bag for each of Whitehorse, Dawson City, Marsh Lake and Bennett Lake and into the corresponding bag my finds went

today I began working with what I found at Bennett 

printed photos of favourite views






driftwood

(several of the pieces I found are from old boards... many boats sank on their way to the Gold Rush and it's possible some of these could be from them... things take a long time to decay in these glacier-fed lakes so you never know)


a sampling of just some of the rocks and driftwood 


texture... decaying lumber half-buried in sand


remnants of an old burlap sack that washed up on the beach at the north end, it was still gathered and tied around the neck


the sack fragments started unravelling as I carefully washed them but the twine that it was tied with has stayed intact

(untying that knot on the beach took a long time and a lot of patience!)


I plan to baste these fragments to a support, probably heavyweight paper or card to keep them safe until I'm ready to use them


it will take many days to process all I have found, longer still to make the inks and paints from the gathered plant material and pigments but I'm in no rush... something to work at as I ease back in to living here

the photo below was taken by a good friend in Whitehorse; she was walking by the Yukon River and took this photo just as our plane took off at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday


it's fitting, that as I left the land was shrouded in a mist of fog

away from me now, no longer distinct... 

shadowy forms that beckon

 out of reach

just my memories 

for now

3 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

You are so good at cataloguing. I love that you are easing into the next stage of your process so gently, giving each item in the individual consideration and a place of its own in your collection. Memories will arise and ideas will emerge for sure as you work through this task and settle back into your 'normal' life. Home is where the heart is.. I think maybe you have more than one home in your heart.

Rachel said...

You've just put words on the sensation I sometimes have when I've been away for a week or so - as though I've forgotten how to live in my house. I'm glad you've found a way to work yourself back into your place!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Home is a wonderful place to be, but when you have an 'away' spot like you have it must be so hard to make the transition between one to the other. Your collections of things are a tangible memory of where you've been.