Saturday, June 22, 2024

travelling

today I flew to the Yukon, travelling through the landscape from above

for the next five weeks I'll be travelling through it on the ground

last week I travelled through it in my mind...

twenty-five 1 1/4" squares with pen-marks and brush-strokes, soft subtle greys, dusky blues and greys and a few splashes of fireweed and wild rose pink


some were done hesitantly, a few marks, a long pause

thinking my way through several, a few coming far more easily


winter ice and snow has a lot of presence, as does water

it was interesting to notice the subjects I kept coming back to


it was also interesting to note the ones I added because I thought I should


I printed a copy of it and brought it with me thinking I may take a few and work on developing them further

or perhaps they will be the springboard to something else

either way, there is more of this kind of work in my future now that I'm back in the landscape that inspired it in the first place

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh yes, doing something because you thought you should.. I recognise that one. But it's not always a bad thing. You might find it develops in interesting ways as you travel.

Christine Barnes said...

'..travelling through the landscape from above'..... and suddenly these squares appear as they are mapped out and looked down on as you fly over them.... passing landscapes, glimpses, transient snapshots. There is a story unfolding here. Have an amazing trip!