Saturday, January 13, 2024

back to work

it's been an odd week, snow, snow and more snow

now cold

shoveling upended most of my creative plans but I did get the drawing in circles page finished

all the marks were inspired by lines, patterns and/or textures in the objects shown a few posts back

from the top, left to right:

driftwood lines
beaded detail of the bracelet
bracket punctuation from newspaper clipping
florets from Queen Anne's lace flower
opening in key handle
leaves of Queen Anne's Lace flower
"crackle" design of hat pin 
marks on the silver oval bracelet clasp
gold nugget on large napkin ring
circles traced with liqueur glass
curlicue from etching on wine glass
outline of silver Mexican medal


I've made a start on the coloured version but not enough to show yet

in the meanwhile, there has been some progress on the wildflower investigations

finally a couple of decent photos to work with



when I took the photos for the last post I noticed some interesting fold lines in the grey silk - one of you noticed their potential too

this week after a discussion in the Zoom meeting with my classmates in Karen Ruane's Alchemy class I started making samples of them - a lot of ideas were generated in that discussion but I haven't made it past the first one 

I've done four versions of it though!

using a fine sewing thread and lightweight linen fabric, a crease is formed and then stitched one fabric thread down from the fold



and this one on the grey silk, trying out incomplete lines

I like them very much


and here are the four pieces laid out together


the sample in the upper left has two pin-tucks that are raised (top and bottom) and the one in the middle goes the other way

I like that effect too

next is try a no-sew method suggested by one of my classmates

and tomorrow explorations with the flowers begin

it does feel good to finally be back to work


5 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

Frederick Franck said "You have not seen what you have not drawn". How relevant that quote becomes when I look at your circles. This is microscopic observation beautifully presented.

I am excited to see how your 'creasing' investigations turned out. They look amazing! A beautiful form of mark making to add to your repertoire. I can see so much potential here. Individually they each make a statement... put together they become a whole possibility!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Jillayne:
I'm intrigued to see how your project progresses. It looks so interesting, and you know me with needlework and nature. Enjoy the journey, my friend.
xoxo
Donna

Rachel said...

The stitched folds look very interesting indeed. I'm intrigued to see where they lead you!

Karen said...

your 'drawing in circles' is outstanding!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I can 'see' the circles interpreted in stitch. I'm happy you went with the creases in the fabric and made them even better with stitch. Another case of being aware and going with what wouldn't be obvious to most of us who have perfectionism as a middle name and who would have hauled out the iron.