Saturday, June 17, 2023

"are the colours that arise with the first light of dawn beautiful if nobody is watching?"

a beautiful question and one i've gone back and forth with several times - odd how something like this can sit in my mind for a very long time, eliciting answers that are often negated as quickly as they came to be

my first response was that of course they are but then i thought beauty is a perception, not an absolute and so yes, there must be someone to see them and feel that

but then...

and so on, and so on

what it does do very well is make me notice and think of the colours that "arise with the first light of dawn"

for the past week i have been waking in the pre-dawn hours, when it is still dark and as i never close the blinds to sleep i can lay on my side and look out the window at the hills and watch the darkness begin to soften as the first light emerges from the horizon

 in those early moments, the sky becomes a light misty grey, the clouds, if there are any, are always painted in varying shades of grey ranging from dark, stormy greys to muted pearlescent ones - the trees are black-green, sometimes the leaves are a smoky yellow-green

as the light grows the colours of change, the sky shifts from pale greys to soft blues, the clouds lighter in colour and the trees brighter greens; it's beautiful, but it's the earliest moments of light and colour i am drawn to

a scrap of paper with this writing was floating around  my work-table last week so I wrote it out in my wabi sabi sketchbook and found a small piece of painted paper which portrayed the colours of dawn here so perfectly


i'm quite enjoying matching words to images; it's a beautiful yet informative way of capturing the essence of a thought

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Yes, a good way of capturing the barely expressible, using the words and image together to express more than they can alone.

Christine Barnes said...

Early morning is my favourite time of day and yes I think the colours of dawn are beautiful even if no-one is watching them. I think nature's beauty is self sufficient. I have a post card in my studio which quotes Oscar Wilde ... "A flower blossoms for its own joy". I like to think that the dawn stretches its colours into the sky and on to the land for the sheer joy of beginning a new morning I always feel humbled and awed when I witness this in the early hours as if I have been given a special gift of energy and happiness to carry with me through my day.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm not a particularly early riser so I don't often see the dawn and what I would see of it wouldn't be too inspiring - unless I 'went somewhere' to see it. Our apartment faces east so we miss the sunsets too.
The quote about colors brought to mind the one 'if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to see it, does it make a sound'.