Saturday, November 19, 2022

a slow go

playing with papers a bit more... i've been fighting a nasty respiratory virus and today is the first in ten days that i felt like getting into the studio and doing anything at all

i've a file folder full of prints on paper, acetate and tissue paper - altered images of water, plants, trees and buildings along with a few painted pieces

today I started cutting them up and playing around with more collage, trying to find my way back in to where i was before

there are three small ones now pasted in my sketchbook and when i was done I realized they all have water and wood... this kind of work is finding out all about what you are drawn to and it seems for me that's water wood

this first one is actually the last one I did and the one that i decided the quickest

paper painted with my homemade indigo and walnut inks, an altered image of winter foliage printed on tissue paper and cropped photo of our local wharf


the next one is a photo of driftwood in water printed on a lightweight vellum, a painted paper and an overlay of a photo of weathered board printed on acetate


and finally, two different altered photos of water overlayed with a different altered photo of weathered wood - this was meant to be printed on clear acetate but i got mixed up and printed it instead on the backing paper - it actually turned out to be rather a nice print and is very transparent so I was rather pleased i messed up


in my readings on twilight, one of the meanings i came upon has captured my interest greatly,

"a time of tranquility and return, when all things scattered by the day return to their rightful places"

I think the intended context of this was a coming home at the end of the day, but if twilight can be a metaphor for a life-stage, then this quote could also apply to that vein of thought...

 perhaps "all things scattered by the day" are the middle years, when we are doing, being other things, becoming... but then in the twilight years we come back to who we truly are, stripped down of all the other titles

in that thinking, by the day, a tree becomes a board, trimmed, straightened, planed, painted... but in twilight all of that has been washed away, bit by bit until the wood is returned to the essence of the tree


3 comments:

Christine Barnes said...

Very glad to hear you are beginning to feel better now Jillayne. These collages are so beautiful. Combined with the carefully chosen words from your reading and your thoughtful and expressively written interpretations, you have created some exquisitely powerful images here.

Rachel said...

I hope you continue to recover. This is looking lovely, but please remember to rest frequently!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So sorry you had some sort of virus - hopefully you're feeling much better now.
Printing on tissue paper - I suspect my printer would gobble it up. Do you use a carrier or just run the tissue through on its own? Just curious about the process.
I recently stumbled across a technique where you print onto transparency film and then transfer the image to wood. I suspect it would work on paper too but one of those things I haven't tried (and of course now I don't remember where I saw it).