Saturday, July 10, 2021

summer fun

summer of '74... my best friend and I decided we would teach ourselves to paint, her with acrylics, myself with oils...

I spent all of my savings to buy paint, brushes, canvases, linseed oil etc., all the trappings needed to wield a brush and look at the world with new eyes

it's one of my fondest summertime memories, one I've pulled out every so often and thought about, wondering where the impetus came from?

to my recollection neither of us had ever expressed a desire to paint, nor can I remember which one of us threw the idea out, but I do remember that however it struck, we were both all in

when the summer ended we each put our paints away and that was that

over time thoughts of painting again grew; I took a watercolour painting course in the first years of this century and though it was enjoyable and I learned a lot, I didn't stick with it after the classes were finished

I kept the paints though, knowing someday I would pick up a brush again, and over the past four years I have - mostly just playing around, painting what I "need", simple things like holly leaves or rosebuds... now I'm getting a little more serious and am working on developing my sketching skills in addition to painting

I've been making good use of the local library since the early days of the pandemic and taken out a number of painting and sketching books

when I was trying to find interesting subjects to practice on I was stymied - nothing appealed really, and I didn't feel like trying to sketch in the cold so I took to copying some of the sketches in the books I borrowed. Copying is such a great way to learn (many of the Masters developed their skills in this way), and makes it so much easier to just get sketching as opposed to finding and "framing" your subject.

In order to make myself a good learning reference I am adding notes from the books to the page so when I look at these I will remember the lesson, kind of a sketching instruction book tailor made for me!

"water" is something I very much need to work on so these first two pages are water studies, the first is three versions of water and sky


next was waves - well, a wave to be precise

this one was a lot harder and there are tools you can use to give better effect but I was working with what I had

pretty pleased with both of these!


then came rocks

oddly enough, I have discovered I have a thing for large rocks and boulders

there was huge rock pile not far from we lived for most of my childhood - rocks big enough for two or three of us to sit on together, complete with a picnic lunch - I want to try painting it from memory so I am practicing rocks


the thing I love about sketching is how absorbing it is... time stands still, the world falls away and there is nothing in my mind except the soft, swift strokes of the pencil scratching on paper


finally I tried my hand at a landscape; again, a copy, but looks pretty much like anywhere around where I live - mountains, trees and a river is common Canadian view here in BC


so far so good... happy enough with these

still seeing loads of room for improvement, lines I'd change, shading I would do slightly different, but overall, a good beginning

the trick now is get more confident, make bolder lines, and hopefully speed up a little

in the meanwhile, it's good summertime fun

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Sometimes it helps to use a pen instead. Then you have to see the line in your mind's eye before you set it down, and it helps you to be bolder. Another thing is to exaggerate the darker tones, because that helps an image to "read" well.

But basically, just doing more of it, as you said!

Marj Talbot said...

I always wished I could paint and did try it a couple of times, but should have taken lessons I suppose. I'm afraid it's just one of those things I can admire and wish upon and that's where it ends.
Looking forward to seeing more of your sketches - doing great... admire your determination and of course your skills. Thanks for sharing..

Lynn Holland said...

Well done and I can see you are enjoying yourself.
It’s wonderful when something takes our interest and we run with it. I’m the same with the stitching and nature prompt and experimenting I’m doing. I can lose myself totally.
Looking forward to seeing more
Lynn x

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I will echo the 'well done's' from other comments. I admire anyone who can draw and paint because it's not something I have the least bit of talent for. My mother was a water colourist (or would have been, had she devoted more time to it) but my talents skipped her generation and instead went back to both my grandmothers who were quilters, crocheters and knitters. My mother could do all those things but had no interest. I'm going to enjoy seeing the results of more of your experiments.

Christine Barnes said...

I’m with Rachel and using a pen directly. The ‘mistake’ lines disappear into the sketch and adds to the expression. In time your pen will get better and better in finding its way around a subject. Not to say I don’t use pencils (and all manner of other supplies) but I always give time to the art of the pen. You have seen my little book of rapid sketches… they are quick draws and in a book especially for the purpose so no worries about messing anything up. And the results, though wonky always capture the very first thing that struck me about the item and what drew me to draw it in the first place. There is more of me in those quick drawings than in any of my more considered drawings.

Your little drawings of water are wonderful by the way.