Saturday, June 26, 2021

thinking, doing, looking, seeing

over the last year creativity has waxed and waned

not often sure of what I want to create, I'm almost always sure of what I want to work with... the solution? 

scratch the itch

if the urge to play with scraps of fabric or lace strikes, that's what I do


when I feel like mucking with paints... I dig some out

I've been working with watercolour, acrylics and water-soluble oils all year; the piece below is done with heavy-body acrylics on watercolour paper with strips of linen attached with gesso prior to the painting

as always with me, texture comes first


when I have leftover paint I dab, scrape and brush it onto other watercolour paper



I tried watercolour paint on acrylic-paint paper (below image, upper right),  acrylic paint on oil-painting paper canvas (bottom), and eventually watercolour on watercolour paper (far right)... I like to see how the paints work on various papers

I also like to see how different fabrics work with the painted papers



one day I made paper, embedding cheesecloth in the layers of pulp, adding dried plant material for flecks of colour


all of these experiments had no end purpose, just the urge to see what could be done with whatever was to hand, building a library of skills, ideas and samples

with each one I see a full range of possibilities, ideas for taking them forward in many different ways

the small stack has built up over the months, never far from sight

every few days I pick it up, shuffle through, looking at them in different ways, seeing new possibilities - what surprised me most was that even though these have been done over the course of the pandemic, and many other things were made and worked on in between, they have a strong commonality of colour and texture

there is simply no denying I like what I like

*I recently learned the "subscribe by email" gadget is going away soon so if you have subsrcibed you'll not receive a notification after the end of the month. I'll see if there is a suitable replacement but in the meanwhile I plan to post on the weekends, usually Saturday

5 comments:

Lynn Holland said...

Hello Jillayne
Isn’t it disappointing that blogger are taking off the follow by email gadget. I do wonder how many followers it will affect. I’ve added a gadget to my blog that a few people have mentioned but I can’t see how it works, so I’ve no wise words there I’m afraid.

In the meantime your blog post today is very poignant as that’s where I am in creating at the moment. I joined Jayne Emerson’s No Rules Textile Society and we look at different techniques and create samples without any end item. It’s hard not to think there should be something but I guess it’s all about playing and possibly discovering later something we would want to make.

I hope I don’t miss your future posts
Lynn x

gracie said...

So creative.

Rachel said...

It's pleasing to see your creative "voice" come through so clearly.

Marj Talbot said...

Love the cheesecloth added to paper pulp. Great result.
Interesting posts fir sure.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I loved seeing the results of your experiments. The painting on the right of the 3rd picture reminded me of a process I tried a number of years ago that involved (if I remember correctly!) painting white glue onto paper and then using a candle to 'burn' the glue. It left a similar look. I think your process is much safer though!!