Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Can We Talk?"

It seems everywhere, quilts are talking. 
Words are being incorporated either in the fabric designs, or in the quilt pattern itself: words of family, words of joy, French words, baby talk, and on and on it goes....

I was thinking it would be fun to come up with my own wordy quilt, and I tried to think of a word I would like to immortalize in fabric.... "Family", "Love", "Simplicity", "Joy"...all great words that I have seen on quilts lately but not for me. Well, not that I don't "get" them, they just weren't me.
But I think this one is...

 
This will be a fun little wall-hanging for the holidays - plain and simple.
And to satisfy everyone's taste, I'm making another version in bright and cheery red, green, blue and gold Christmas fabrics


this brown/taupe version says "me" better


and yes, the fabric in the "e" is upside down.... whoopsidoodle!
Whimsicals has a book out called "If Quilts Could Talk" and some of the letters above came from Teri's designs but not all ('cause Jingle's my word).  To fill in the gaps, I turned once again to my dear daughter, who although she believes she isn't crafty, can do lettering like nobody's business.

I'll do a nice dark brown blanket stitch around the letters and then figure out something interesting for the border.


I can just hear those bells a-ring-jing-jingling now...

13 comments:

Angela Richardson said...

That's a great word!!
Can't wait to see it finished.
I've just got out an unfinished Christmas quilt to work on. We're all starting to think festive.
hugs, Angela.

Dorthe said...

Wonderful christmas word- I at once see santa and bells and reindeers-
and they are beautifully drawed Jillayne-your daughter is so clever.
I love the different fabric`s you used- from heavy to very light.
Hugs and xx
Dorthe

Diane Kelsey said...

Christmas a scary thought, but not far away.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a great idea and what a lovely piece it will be too.

FlowerLady

Tanya said...

Great word...great quilt...once again - you two play well together! Happy Wednesday - Tanya

Mosaic Magpie said...

This will look really neat! I like the taupe and brown color choices.
Deb

Createology said...

How very clever of you dear. This is such a cheery word and I really like the colors you selected that are "you". Happy lettering...

Marj Talbot said...

The brown/taupe is lovely and the letters absolutely great. What neat shapes. The embroidery will make them "jump" out. A gold thread amidst the dark brown would be nice too. Lots of room for beading - never ending.
Good work Laura and Jill, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The upside down "E" is hilarious... at first I saw that and thought "ugh, of course I did that! OF COURSE."

But then I remembered that you did that while I was running and instantly felt 10090298402984 times better, haha. Looks great!!

The French Bear said...

Wonderful! I would love to be there for your sale!!! I am starting to get things done around here, this quilting class has sparked my imagination and now I am in the mood! Love the word jingle, it makes me smile....so glad that your daughter is coming to help you, that is really nice. It's hard to believe we are headed into winter isn't it?
Hugs,
Mags
xxx

suziqu's thread works said...

This is fabulous! Love your colour choices, fabrics and the lettering - all gorgeous. You have one talented daughter.
Thank you for leaving me such a lovely comment on my blog Jillayne.
I am now following you!
Hugs,
Suzy

carole brungar said...

I totally LOVE the word and the lettering is fantastic!!!

Alisa Noble said...

Great word!