Monday, July 17, 2017

pages...

thanks so much for your very kind comments on my last post - it's very humbling to know that there are still some of you that come by here now and then to see what i'm up to and say hello

i'm going to set up a bookmark system for your blogs so that i can get to them with some regularity - usually i access them from here but that means when i can't face my blog, i don't get to yours

hopefully it will work better and i should have it done in the next day or two...

summer is always such a busy time for me but i think it's slowing down a bit now - the cherries are off the trees and in the freezer, raspberries are half-done, garden is plodding along, company has come and gone etc. etc.

 the other day i even said i like winter better - i have far more time for creative pursuits and i can make oven dinners!

anyway, enough with the whining and now a little show and tell...

i've been working away on the pages and additions for my artist book
 

 weaving has captured my interest of late, especially irregular weave and though i bought myself a rigid heddle loom and a small frame loom along with my wee weaver, i haven't really had much time to work with them lately so i've been playing a bit with fabric and lace, adding a little stitch to the mix as well


simple fabric buttons on a strip of lace


 this one i really liked doing - the appliqued circles, stuffed and surrounded with stitch are a delight to do - the one with french knots was a little tedious and though i was worried it wouldn't show well, what with all the background texture, i am very happy with the result

it's what's below that really has me fired up though...


a few years ago i pieced strips of silk and lace to make a background - for what i have no idea - likely nothing, if the truth be told - just an itch i had to scratch

anyway - i cut a piece off which i used on a page shown in my last blog post, and was then left with a fairly good sized remnant

it took a little doing but i rolled it into a tube, secured the side, threaded some gimp through it, threaded beads and a button onto the gimp, made knots and swirls and more knots and sewed it to it's own page


 don't ask me why, but so far, it's my favourite thing in the whole book

i am fickle though, and more often than not, each new thing i do becomes my favourite so we'll see how long this lasts

since i've taken these pictures, a few have changed: stitches and beads, more off-cuts, more cast-offs... the pages are filling up and it won't be long before i can sew the book together, and then it will be time to turn my attention to making a slipcase for it

and on it goes...

6 comments:

Createology said...

I am just like you in loving each and everything you put your skills to. And...each one is my very most favorite. May you enjoy your waning Summer. I truly adore seeing what you are creating my friend. Summer Bliss and JOYful Smiles...<3

Karen Ruane said...

wonderful wonderful pages!!

Dorthe said...

Jillayne, your new love thing, looks amazing, I love it too, dear. And love your buttons, with the lovely embroidery around, and the french knots -also so very beautiful.
I think I will always be ooohhhhing and aaahhhhing when visiting your stunning art makes .
Hugs, Dorthe

Rachel said...

It's looking lovely, fresh and somehow light!
I get so little practice cooking for summer weather it always confuses me...

Ancient Wanderer said...

I apologize that I almost never post a comment BUT I would like you to know that I am always thrilled to see a new post in my email. While so many bloggers seem to think that fireworks and exotics (figuratively) are what will lure people to their blogs, they don't seem to fully understand the appeal of the quiet beauty that you offer. I love that you spend so much time showing the worth of the small things. Life is chock full of small things and we seldom stop to appreciate the beauty of it. Your blog is most definitely one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think we are all fickle when it comes to our work. Every piece (at least for me) is my favourite - until - I start a new one. Right now I'm all about barns - old ones - abandoned ones - relics of another time. Not white and beautiful like your treasures here, but works of the heart nonetheless. Actually - there's plenty of room in my heart for both!