Monday, January 30, 2017

slow...

january... my beautiful slow month

i've said it before, i'll say it again, january goes at it's own pace; not too fast, not too slow, just a lovely long month of regrouping
i think for that reason, and for today, i'll say it's my favourite

february drives me mad because it's just too short, so i will enjoy one last day of january before i let the world catch up with me

 i've been stitching away like crazy but haven't got a lot to show for it - mostly embroidery... a little quilting but nothing finished yet so pictures will come in a few days

in the meanwhile, welcome to my white world...



 i'm making a series of sample cloths, each one showcasing the merits {as i see them} of a stitch or technique
 

above is my bullion knot cloth
flat bullions separated by yellow french knots
loopy bullions with beads
loopy bullions within clusters of french knots and beads
flat bullions with french knot clusters at each end
{it took an effort to have them not resemble dog bones too closely!}
and one long seam of plain loopy bullions tumbling all over each other



above is my hexagon cloth - a solid white one with embroidery on top, and two open ones, one with embroidery and the other with a gathered fabric insert
that gathered bit of fabric wasn't intentional but i made such a mess of the insert that it bubbled up and would not lie flat - the more i tried to fix it, the worse it got... i was almost ready to cut it out and try again when the idea of gathering it occurred to me - now it's my favourite part of this sample

fiddly fun
 

little clusters of loops, knots and beads destined to be tiny handmade buttons - these are so addictive
if i had meters of silk i would do nothing else but make hundreds of these 


 methinks a button cloth sample will soon be forthcoming...

the last is my appliqued circles and web stitches sample cloth

this one is my favourite - favourite to do, favourite to look at


there are still many web stitches to add, and at least one more tiny appliqued circle before it's finished



 as each one is completed i have a little book i'm putting them in, each on it's on page, tied in place at the top with white embroidery thread, the bottom left free so the reverse of the work can be peeked at

the left-hand page will have the annotations: what i did, why, how etc. etc. and in the end i'll have a little reference book, a book to look through when in need of an idea or a dose of inspiration

stitch diagrams and colour photographs can only inspire a girl so much... having pretty little samples to touch, the gleam of the silk, the glint of a bead, how a stitch lays on the cloth or stands proudly above it... that's what fires me up

as if all of that hasn't kept me busy enough, the stitch sampler below is my play-cloth
 

 basted off sections on one larger piece of white silk - here is where i try things out, learning the ins and outs of a stitch
practicing, over and over
and in the case of the web stitches - over yet again
 

quiet and gentle this handwork is...
peaceful even
each time i take up my needle, the cares and woes of the world float away, and for a little while i find myself in the vicinity of peace

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I feel your peace and wish I lived close to you to take in your stitching in person. Your work is so lovely, your stitching so fine. I love your curly bouillon stitches. I need to practice bouillon stitches, as they are still hard for me to do. When I was first trying this stitch, I just couldn't get it. I asked my husband if he could figure out from the instructions and pictures, how to do it. He took up the cloth, needle and thread and did it. I was amazed, but shouldn't have been. :-) Seeing him do it, I could see where I had been wrapping my thread the wrong way.

I am inspired by your lovely work and your gentle posts every time I visit. Thank you for taking the time to write and share your photos of your needleworking experiences.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

Karen B. said...

Oh Jillayne,
you are going you magic again girl! Everything looks so stunning.
Many hugs.
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

gracie said...

Always so beautiful and creative. I love visiting with you for inspiration.

Rachel said...

Love your white world. Peace, tranquility and industry. All of which are in short supply at present.

Dorthe said...

Your blog is always such a beautiful place to visit, dear Jillayne. So serene embroideries, looking like the white snow, with little shiny snowflakes , I think you are so very clever, with all you create. Jillayne, on the 11`th of January I send you an envelope with a little gift inside , I`m so dissatisfied, that you have not still received it, but still hope it will arrive, to you.
Hugs from Dorthe

Marj Talbot said...

Beautiful!!! I'd also love to see the completed booklet in person I can only imagine!! Thanks for sharing this lovely work.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

aaaaaah - peaceful indeed! Not so sure I would be quite so brave as you are though to allow your back sides to be shown. Mine always end up being a total mess, despite my best efforts to be tidy. Your clusters (4th picture) are so dainty and feminine - love!!

Createology said...

I feel your peace and calm as i swoon over each and every cloth and sample and stitch you have created. A lovely little heirloom book of what, why and how you took fabric and needle and threads to create amazing pieces of Pure Bliss. Divine Dear...XO

froebelsternchen Susi said...

What fantastic little pieces made with sooo much love and artful feeling! Adorable!

Karen Ruane said...

I could easily slip into life in your white world Jillayne.....your work is exquisite and I know how much thought goes into it. (not long now!!!)