Monday, January 2, 2017

everything's coming up roses...

a new year - i hope it and every year to come is wonderful for all of you

i really do love a new year - i think because my birthday's in spring... i'm all about renewal, growth, beginnings - i prefer beginnings to endings, which might explain why the words "once upon a time" still bring a smile of delight to my face

it feels hopeful somehow, unsullied, a promise, a way of marking off and measuring not just time but life itself

it's a pause, and a re-set

three years ago, on new year's day i started writing in the morning what my creative plans for the day were - i still do it each and every morning
i don't ruminate over past or present hurts, don't try to figure out why i am the way i am, or am not, as it were... 
just what it is that i want to make, how, why, when, what works, what doesn't - it's a creative journal that more often than not would probably read like a drudge 
{any guesses as to how many times i've complained that i had the bad luck to be born on a 24 hour-a-day planet???}

 every so often my writing brings clarity though, and ideas, and i'm up from the table like a shot, over to the work table, gathering things before my latest and greatest escapes me...

a couple of years ago i started writing a list of twenty-five things i'd like to make/work on, choosing five and then only doing them until they're done

i still do it... i've learned to balance the list and also to break down projects into various stages, both help to keep me from getting bogged down - it's a brilliant strategy which i will never give up

when i first started it there were those who thought it too confining, too limiting, not allowing for creative freedom
for me it has been exactly the opposite - it gives me more creative freedom than i could ever have thought possible and has taught me more than anything just how long it takes to make things
it lets me choose deliberately what it is i want to do with the time i have


 my current list has me back at my embroiderer's ledger for one


stitching together bits of fabric, lace and paper
tiny ribbon rosebuds


 hundreds of french knots


using scraps of paper, snippets of ribbon, a tiny tea rose


lace cloth with rose fabric reverse applique


roses, roses everywhere

i'm in girly heaven!  
i hope wherever you are, whatever you're doing, that it brings a smile to your face and gives you a happy heart...

10 comments:

Createology said...

Your discipline dear is to be admired. I have never been good at writing to-dos or goals. My time management has always needed improvement. I am a flitterer...from one thing to the next. I love your stitchings and your special way of combining paper, fabric, thread and ribbon. Your hands create magic! XO

Laura said...

The tea rose on the paper looked like a little pink spider to me at first, hehe. Love to see you still writing day after day, even when you're here. It shows how important it is to you and that's amazing. XO

Christine B said...

I am a flitterer too, like Creatology. This post of yours was so very inspiring. I know the theory of course but maybe it's time I took a leaf out of your book and applied the discipline and practice. I love the idea of morning writing too, always have, but never done it. Maybe This is the year I should start. Beautiful images....they got me reaching for my own ledger and revisiting its pages. Happy New Year Jillayne.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

More luscious needlework, and inspiring words from you once again. I love your delicate work, and really have a love of roses too.

Have a wonderful 2017 dear Jillayne ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

Yes, the list really helps. I've done that many times, not always sticking to it but eventually getting to the end and ready for the next list.
I love your roses - girly heaven!!! Can't get enough of those French knots!!
Thanks for sharing these works of art and words of wisdom and encouragement.

Rachel said...

I have the greatest admiration for anyone who can manage lists. They just make me feel overwhelmed!

Dorthe said...

You are such a wonderful artist, creating magic, out of the smallest pieces, combining everything to a stunning whole, dear Jillayne.
I could never work like you, I`m not steady, in what I create, and my creations are not at all ,perfect like yours, I`m much more shabby and unperfect when creating. I don`t want to be different, but I so admire what you do, and how you manage to create these stunning pieces.
Dorthe, xoxo

Ancient Wanderer said...

I don't believe I've ever commented before - although I am a huge fan and avid reader of your blog. I wanted to take the time to thank you for sharing your work and tell you how much I love seeing what you've been up to. Your blog reminds me that it is often the small things that take your breath away.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Now I have that 'everything's coming up roses' song on a loop in my head (thanks!). It's lovely to see your little roses - so much prettier than the horrible snow that fell so hard here today!

Karen Ruane said...

beautiful surfaces Jillayne and the roses are precious. I love the fragility of those....