Saturday, December 24, 2016

christmas present, and christmas past

rolling through saved images on my laptop, it's lovely to look back on some of my favourite things that i've made over the years
in a fit of nostalgia, i thought i would post some of them here... memories perhaps for some of my readers who've been with me for a long time

the wishing stars were a favourite


i've forgotten now the exact number i made for those of you gave me a word
but i know it was many
the stars piling up, the image below one of my very favourites ever that i've posted on my blog
 

the year of the mice...
so much fun to make, especially when it comes to their faces
always amazing to me how the shape of the head has as much impact as the set of the eyes or placement of the whiskers
 

the santa mice, hats askew, the fiddly yet adorable glasses perched at just the right angle... these guys made me laugh over and over again


the little penguins, with stovepipe hats almost as tall as they themselves... tottering on awkward feet, unbalanced by their large bellies, anchored again by a tiny wreath
 

a santa stocking for a forgetful son, souvenir tweed from pitlochry, scotland



tiny patchwork and quilted cards... using the last scraps of favourite holiday fabrics


 i hope i'll always make things for christmas - there's just something so magical about this time of year, especially when it comes to making and creating

 inspiration and joy abound, perfection is out the window

unpacking some of these treasures each year brings back so many memories... the making of them, yes, but also the blog posts that shared them with all of you

i'm so lucky in my blog, it's readers, many of whom are now friends - i've only ever had wonderful, thoughtful comments; beautiful thoughts shared, from me to you and back again

one just recently by "ancient wanderer" was especially touching - i wanted to send you a personal reply but there was no email link...
please know it meant a lot to me that you took the time to leave it...



  the other day, as the sun was moving lower, not quite sunset but almost, the sky cleared a little {for the first time in ages!} and the far hills were kissed with the rosy glow
of the sun skipping along their tops, catching the snow and the whole world sparkled

it was one of those moments when you are so very glad you happened by a window, glad you can see, glad for a camera to capture it a little, glad for the world, and your place in it... grateful suddenly for every good thing in your life

i hope for all of you, in your lives, wherever you are, that you can be glad too

merry christmas to all of you!

8 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Merry Christmas dear Jillayne ~ I have one of those lovely stars also a sweet heart. The word on the back of the star is 'hope', the word on the back of the heart is 'forever'. Thank you for your kindness and for your lovely blog where you inspire so many.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Much gladness is wished for you this Christmas - and to those you love.

Marj Talbot said...

What a special post. Those mice have re-visited my home as well, along with Sir Willabe and his friend. I have many memories each year when I unpack the decorations. Although we've scaled down from the large tree we used to decorate, some decorations remain - ones that were made for me or given to me by good friends. So much and so many to be thankful for. Wishing you and all your readers the best Christmas ever.

Rachel said...

Yes, "gladness" is something powerful and rare. And what a lovely retrospective!

Laura said...

What a stunning view from that sewing room of yours!! I can't believe I gave that up! Maybe next Fall you can teach me how to make those patchwork cards? XO

Christine B said...

I feel very glad to be alive and very glad to have become a friend of yours Jillayne. Love this heartfelt post.....and am very envious of your view!! I wish so much happiness for the coming year and I look forward to meeting you in London soon.

Dorthe said...

Dear Gillayne,
I hope your Christmas was as beautiful, as your post is ,also today.
I have one of your little stars, :-) making me happy every year.
I also wish you many blessings, for 2017 my friend,- and a healthy, happy and crafty New Year!
Thank you for our friendship ,and little chats, dear.
Hugs, Dorthe

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear your reflective post is bringing very happy smiles to my face. I cherish you and your gift of words and your amazing talents with needle and thread and fabric and paper. I cherish the gifts you have created from your hands and so generously given from your heart. I feel so blessed to have gotten to meet you and share your friendship. My wish for you is a Wonderful 2017 with all the JOY and PEACE and Creative Bliss and LOVE possible. XO