Friday, December 16, 2016

an open heart...

continuing on with getting plastered...
{sorry - couldn't resist that!}

i'm still in love with this technique and though i haven't had a lot of time to muck about with it, i am on my second round of cards

i ran out of pale green silk ribbon, had enough cream for one card and so am now on to the palest pink imaginable
i tried brighter colours, really i did, but the trouble is, they completely overtake the design

their brightness overpowers the delicacy of the plastered stitching, to the point you really don't notice it, and for me, that's the main event, the "raison d'etre", if you will

so until i can get to a store with a better selection than what's available locally, it is what it is...


very pale, very delicate
 perhaps not terribly christmassy but certainly classy and sophisticated - i'll bling it up with the beads, paper and binding thread
 

 they do remind me of royal icing...


i'm working on a heart-shaped one to send to my best friend ever
she lost her mom a couple of days ago and is heart-broken

a heart-shaped wreath came immediately to mind


i like the open heart design - i like the space it leaves for what you want it to hold

full hearts have their place, but grief and memory need their own space i think

i can't imagine what the world must be like when your mom isn't in it... i think mothers are like anchors; not in a bad way, tying one down, but in the best kind of way - a mooring perhaps... safe harbour

 oddly enough, her mom was my "mom" for a while
after my parents split up, so did hers

we were in Grade 9 then, and so many people thought we were sisters {always together, same long blonde hair, same glasses etc. etc.} and one day we decided maybe we should be real sisters

so we fixed up her mom and my dad on a date

by thanksgiving of grade 10 they had moved in to our house - the four of them, and the four of us

three boys and three girls
people all over town called us "the brady bunch"

sadly, it was too much, too soon and by grade eleven it was down to dad and i again
{confucious' interesting times alright}

anyway, there are good and kind people who moved through my life, looked out for me and were helpful to me when i was young and lynne was one of the best
always calm, kind, reasonable and understanding
helping me learn to put in a zipper
unpicking it when i made a royal mess of it
patience to no end


managing two teenage girls with goodness and grace, and the freedom to roam...

i can still her saying, "you girls have fun... but be careful and don't be home late."


11 comments:

Rachel said...

Love your delicate cards. My sympathy to your friend - and to you.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love your cards also.

I am sorry for your friend losing her Mom, and for your loss as well of this woman who influenced your life with love.

Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

Karen B. said...

Oh Jillayne,
your cards are just so beautiful. The heart one is perfect for your friend. I am so sorry to hear about her loss. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with her and with you.
Sending you many hugs.
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Marj Talbot said...

Delicate and beautiful are your cards for sure. Simply gorgeous. Your friend will cherish the heart card. Her mother is in her heart forever and she will have many memories to cherish. It is life, tough as it may seem.
I hope that the spirit of Christmas, love and joy, peace and happiness will abound for all.
Hugs, Marj

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
So sorry for your dearest friend, loosing her mother, and you loosing someone whom was a part of your life, for a long time, I assume, a little of it, even very close !!
Your new cards, with the soft pink, are oh so beautiful, delicate, and elegantly, sweet. I love what you are doing and the fineness of it. Little masterpieces they are ,my friend. The heart will be so adorable, and a comfort to your friend, knowing it is created and gifted with love.
Hugs from Dorthe

gracie said...

What can I say? Beautiful comes to mind.

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear my deepest condolences for you and your "sister". I believe your open heart stitchery is a most beautiful gesture of love. Your use of the softest hints of color truly do show the beauty of your design and stitching. Blessings Dear...XO

Christine B said...

Jillayne your open heart is such a lovely idea and could mean joy and hope as well as sorrow....and open heart, an invitation for love. I love the open circles too, to hold and keep safe those we cherish. So sorry for your friend ... may she find peace in your friendship.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your cards are very beautiful - so soft and lovely. So sorry that your friend lost her dear mom...so sad at any time of year, but seeming even more so at Christmas. I'm sure your friend will treasure your special loving card.

Karen Ruane said...

such sadness so close to Christmas....I am truly sorry.
Your work in this technique is exquisite and very apt

Laura said...

Beautifully written. I forgot that they all lived with you for a time... what a beautiful gesture for her. I hope you two can visit soon! What a perfect time to connect and share some of those special memories! XO