Saturday, October 1, 2016

progressing...


as promised, here is the circle page with the scratty pin-pricking cut out, replaced with a little bit of reverse applique

i'm seriously considering purchasing a circle punch as it's almost impossible to cut a smooth, even circle with scissors
the buttonhole stitch that is done around the edge (here in white) certainly helps cover some irregularities, but i think being able to punch out a perfect circle would make very happy...


at the lower right you can see the french knot/chain stitch circle - very happy with that -
fiddly yes, but i really don't mind

next to consider is what to do within them - pin-pricking may get resurrected but i'll definitely be practicing that on scrap paper first

and then there's the upper right - a big empty space waiting for something inspired

for now though, i'm working on the first flower, getting the petals appliqued onto the length of white cotton, dreaming of how i'll embroider and embellish it

 and below this is a little watercolour painting i did this summer

i signed up for an online summer painting class a few years ago and this summer i made an effort to re-visit it and try a few of the exercises i didn't get to the first time around

this summer fruit arrangement looked like a fun thing to try and i was amazed at how well it turned out - at least to my eyes
{perhaps that's one advantage to the whole "i'm getting older and my eyesight is getting poorer" situation - my painting satisfaction index has gone way up!}


pears, lemons, cherries, peaches and apricots - the leaves aren't correct but who cares?

not i - i'm pretending i'm mistress mary quite contrary and i'll paint them however i please!
 
{seems the list of all my favourite blogs to visit has gone away from the sidebar - i'll spend some time tomorrow getting that sorted out and then be around to catch up with all of you - i've missed everyone and can't wait to see what's been keeping you busy}

8 comments:

gracie said...

Love your creative ideas and the painting looks great

Karen B. said...

Dear Jillayne,
I am so happy to see that you are busy being creative and I just love you little painting!
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Rachel said...

Your painting looks pretty good to me, I have to say!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne, LOVE your painting. Such a delicate and detailed treasure of work. The circle page is delightful. Always an inspiration to visit here my friend and thank you for stopping by my fall Texas tour. Wishing you a happy October!! xo

Butterfliesandfaeries said...

I love to see what you are creating! The little painting is so pretty. You inspired me to locate a copy of The Bedspread. I love it! I am giving a copy to my sister and one to my best friend as part of their Christmas gifts. Thank you!

Karen Ruane said...

who care indeed! Your little water colour is delightful x

Createology said...

You are very clever and creative and I am always amazed at your many talents. Sweet little stitched circles and I agree it is very difficult to "cut" a perfect circle. I adore your watercolor. You have lots of patience my friend.

Dorthe said...

Hello dear Jillayne,
wonder why I did not see this post!!
I have tried cutting circles, and you are so right, impossible -your stitching looks wonderful, and that painting is adorable, Love your mixed colors and the light you achieved , beautiful, dear.
Hugs,Dorthe