Wednesday, October 19, 2016

playing about

 lately i've been obsessed with buttons...

remember these ones from a while back?


and this white one?


i still have a hankering to make more of those ones, but lately my mind's been on appliqued buttons

tiny little houses, trees, winter things

below is my first one


 a simple scene, easy enough for a first effort

trying to get a lay of the land, if you will... figuring out how the curve of the button form affects things

i like it well enough but it's just not that intricate - i want more detail

so, i've rooted out my thinnest needles 
size 12 quilting needles are the tiniest i have
and a super fine thread called "invisafil" - having the right tools might help in working with the teeny tiny pieces i'll need to be stitching if i want to create more detailed designs

i've sketched a half dozen different designs, all involving winter scenes... trees, houses, a snowman or two - even a tiny child


 this button is the largest form i can get - size 100, about 2 1/2" across

i have a few 1 7/8" button forms as well so once i perfect my miniature stitching skills on the larger size i'll try my hand at the next size down

the cabin is done with needle-turn applique so it's sturdy enough but the door, window, eaves and chimney are raw edge with a very fine over-cast stitch... i have no idea how they'll stand up to wear and tear, nor what one would actually put one of these buttons on, but then i haven't really given any of that a moment's thought

i'm just having fun making them!

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

These are oh so sweet! You have inspired me once again.

Happy Fall and happy creating ~ FlowerLady

Karen B. said...

Oh Jillayne,
you are such an amazing artist. I love it when you share something new and see how beautiful your work again is. All of your buttons are just so pretty and the first two have that special little thing about them. Love love love them.
Hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Does there have to be a reason to create something? Sometimes the reason is the pure pleasure that comes from the doing. I can see why you are having fun!

Marj Talbot said...

I really like the first ones - so delicate and delightful. The larger one with the cabin and others in your thoughts would be great with a pin on the back and attached to a coat or hat.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your tiny stitching. If it were me I'd need a mighty fine magnifier.

Rachel said...

You could turn the buttons into brooches, perhaps?

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I love the brooch idea and I love this button!

Dorthe said...

I love your adorable buttons dear friend, so lovely and so sweet they are, each in their own way. Little treasures , to just watch, they need not be used on something at all. :-)
The dearest house it is, and oh the white one !!!!
Hugs, Dorthe

Createology said...

I am seriously envious of your creative stitching talents. I adore your buttons. Scenery and appliqué all done in miniature on a button is Priceless. I can see one very special artistic button as the focal on a simple wool cape...or a hand knit shawl...the possibilities are endless. Never stop creating my friend. XO

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Oh your buttons are so sweetly made and look just lovely!

FlashinScissors said...

Such a sweet, sweet button! Oooh you are giving me ideas! Wow!
I'm off to put pencil to paper before I forget!
Thanks for the inspiration!
xx