Wednesday, June 29, 2016

inspiration versus limitation...

i've been known to be a bit scattered when it comes to all things creative

wanting to try almost everything i see, it can all get a tad overwhelming at times

not to mention the ensuing issues of cost and storage...

"artist's block" rarely ever happens to me - instead, i usually have more ideas than time, and that's certainly been the case with my latest online class

"stitching a story"


each of us have chosen a children's storybook and we're embellishing them in all sorts of wonderful ways... amazing stuff happening in this class by some very talented people...

my chosen book was "the bedspread", by sylvia fair... it's the story of two elderly sisters  who are confined to one very large bed, and, in order to ease their boredom, they've decided to each embroider their end of the white bedspread they also share


 the book is full of amazing illustrations which provided me with four full pages of notes - ideas drawn from both the images, and from the story itself - enough that it would take me a year at least to explore them all

added to that were all the scribbles done by a very young hand some time in this book's past
{i bought my copy from a book-seller on amazon, and it was an old library book, so well used}

i traced out some of the scribbles, identifying shapes within them that i could then take forward into more design work

below is an example of that - one scribble resembled a heart and so i stitched french knots all along it... love, love, love


 below is the beginning of a limited colour study



i had to set the book, as well as my pages of ideas aside for a few weeks whilst i concentrated on the quilt show our guild held back in early june, and though i thought i was keen to get back to class-work, i kept dragging my feet

i couldn't decide where to start

in looking over my pages of notes, and flipping through the pages of the book, i halfheartedly tried my hand at a small sample of tree-bark and colourful leaves

no go

overwhelmed, i think

and as i mulled it all over i remembered the book i'd originally chosen for this class, but set aside when i discovered "the bedspread"

"the red apple"
by 
feridun oral

it had me at hello

soft brown and beige, off-white and red
trees and snow and animals

a winter's scene



in the end i'd decided against it because i thought there just wasn't enough design inspiration to work with... the scene rarely changes, only the animals do

it's always winter - bare trees, and snow falling incessantly

now i was thinking this narrow field of vision might be exactly what i need

today i dug it out of the closet and began what will be

"an extensive exploration of snow and winter trees"
 
ha!


 so far - a few simple french knots on the dedication page

one wrap, two wraps, sometimes three


a fabric bought a few years back - white, with raised star-shaped stitches arranged in circles - perfect for a tiny drawn tree

a scrap of fme lace makes perfect falling snow


 another of circle fabric circles, this one with the centre cut out helps define the fallen apple


 still trying to decide where to put thesnowball-tree

and what other shapes could be drawn in more of them - what kind of snow-storm to create?
 

a narrow focus this time, one with serious limitations, might be enough inspiration for me right now


 exploring limited shapes in unlimited ways has more appeal than dealing with pages full of glorious illustrations; a well-spring of inspiration can sometimes be far more daunting than working with one simple shape

"the bedspread" proved to be all too overwhelming... and i was always wanting to do something, yet never able to decide on just what that should be, and i ended up doing nothing

today all that changed - fabric and scissors flew, needles and thread all over the place, baskets emptied in the search for scraps of lace and paper-shapes

we're on a two week break from class, before it resumes for another 8 weeks, and no one in class knows i've pulled a switch-up... not even the teacher

 it seems i'll have an interesting "story" to tell about what i did on my two week vacation!

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Sometimes a greater restriction produces a greater inspiration!

Marj Talbot said...

Good for you to do the switch-up. To be overwhelmed is not a great place to be and maybe another time the bedspread will come into your space.
Winter, snow, fallen leaves, all kinds of animals - love it.

deanna7trees said...

oh....but now i know. when you're stuck, the best thing to do is move on to something else....although, i must say, what you have already done in The Bedspread has been magnificent. maybe you'll get back to it someday. i'll keep your secret and won't tell a soul.

gracie said...

I love this idea.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

As always, I look forward to seeing your creation. You amaze me with all that you do.

FlowerLady

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne, WOW this is all incredible. You are a powerhouse of creativity. Love this so much and I can see you are having the best time!! Some works do have to sit tight for a bit and then greater inspiration follows. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.
Thanks for stopping by too. Always great to see you.
xo

Dorthe said...

Oh Jillayne, sometimes less is more, and this will from the few glimpses seen look so beautiful, a snow landscape when you have finished it.
I love childrens books ,too, and have been inspired many times, when creating my dolls.
Thank you dear friend, for your note to me, it is overwhelming with all the packing, so I`m not doing much other, and no creating really. Next week my Mathilde arrives for 5 days here, so I can leave sorting and packing for a while :-)
I look forward seeing how far you are when class starts again .
Hugs, Dorthe

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like the first book but, like you, I love the second one. I think the first book is perhaps too busy to begin with - at least that would be my feeling I think. There doesn't seem to be much room for creative additions. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with the sweet little animals and trees.

FredaB said...

I think you made a great choice in this new book. It even looks like your kind of thing. The winter scenes, trees, snow, etc. will not be a challenge for a good Canadian. What did we grow up with except that weather.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

This is just totally COOL!!!! I love it! I love the simple book as well. I can't wait to see more!
Hugs to you dear friend.
Shell

Karen Ruane said...

teacher knows now!! and she is delighted.....it's a win win, you have two beautiful books to work with and you're transforming them beautifully!!

gracie said...

I absolutely love this idea....you are giving me ideas!