Wednesday, December 30, 2015

stitching, patching, playing...

time is standing still a little this week - the days move along at a nice quiet pace

there's no rush to be anywhere... 

back in late november, early december, whilst wandering about on the internet, i came upon a "stitch along" on quilt mania's website

hosted by bea

the videos are all in french, but i found them surprisingly easy to understand, and the more i watched the more my french improved until after a while i wasn't even trying to translate them in my head

and then of course, embroidery and patchwork have their own universal language


 too busy to get started, i printed off the pdf documents, gathered some supplies and set it all aside for this week

i was so entranced by the random nature of this work that i decided to follow along fairly closely, at least at first

each section is completed on it's own, and then in groups, they are attached to a long foundation cloth {i'm using a piece of  a very old damask tablecloth - it's exceptionally unruly but i love it so am persevering!}


bea used a vintage piece for her monogram but as i had nothing with a "j" i had to create my own

i remembered a pretty alphabet pattern by alicia of posie gets cozy , found a fragment of an doily, and made my own


 layers of cloth, layers of stitch



 favourite buttons and pins


bea's method for piecing this tiny new york beauty block is brilliant

i hate foundation piecing on paper but this is done without ever having to sew through the paper - brilliant!



after laying out these first four components, a vine with felt leaves was randomly stitched - the leaves are layered with cheesecloth to add texture and dimension and then veins stitched with variegated embroidery thread




 trying to be as random as possible, i didn't draw any lines on the ground fabric, just going with it


the more you add, the more you want to add even more - layering stitches, adding dimension, integrating all the components into something whole


 the branch with tiny felt leaves and embroidered fronds adds such a woodland feel to this - i'm envisioning it winding it's way here and there, all the way to the top


there are so many wonderful ideas in this project, and the pieces are all so easily done - tiny treasures


the perfect thing for quiet snowy days when you have nowhere else to be

10 comments:

Christine B said...

Oh Jillayne, this is gorgeous. Lovely, as you say for Quiet snowy weather but equally, I think, for stitching when the rain hammers relentlessly down for days on end on an otherwise mild UK winter and being outside in nature temporarily loses it's appeal. I'd love to see the whole of it when it is complete...or at least when you pause and move away from it for it to decide if it is complete that is. I hope your peace and quiet continues into the New Year xxx

FlashinScissors said...

Your work is gorgeous, Jillayne!
I started a New York Beauty quilt many years ago, and love that style especially.
As you say, you can see what to do without knowing the language on the video.
I had seen a picture of some stitching like yours on a French blog but hadn't found the link to the SAL.
Thank you for showing us the link!
Wishing you a Happy, Healthy, Stitchy, New Year!
Hugs! Barbara xx

Karen Ruane said...

I adore this work Jillayne....it's stunning. Did I hear you say French? Would you like to come with me????

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I love this place, and have clicked on links to visit other blogs when I finish here.

As always I am so inspired by your lovely work.

Have a wonderful 2016 ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

This is great. What will it make when finished? Would love to see it then. I love the bird and the buttons. Not to mention your great stitching.
Thanks for sharing - enjoyed as always.
Happy New Year to you and all your followers.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a fun piece! The best part (for me anyway) is that wonderful vine with the little feather stitches....love it! Happy new year!

gracie said...

Oh I do love it. Going to check out Bea...Happy New Year to you and your fmaily

Rachel said...

It's looking lovely - well done. Especially if "random" isn't a comfortable style for you!

Diane Kelsey said...

I just love this work. I really must get back into stitching, I seem to have lost my way. Thank you for always sharing your inspirational work. Happy New Year, health and happiness xx

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear you do find the most interesting sites to visit and get inspiration from. I got side-tracked and just loved watching Bea stitch. Her pieces remind me of snippet rolls that I am obsessed with and MUST make one soon. Your piece is lovely and I can see how you have completely given it the personal touches you are so good at. 2016 will be an amazing year dear...