Thursday, October 22, 2015

a little of this... a lot of that


last year i developed a penchant for fashion books, specifically, a series put out by the v & a museum in london

fashion in detail for the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th centuries

as well as 

a history of underwear, in detail

beautifully photographed examples from the museum's extensive collection along with wonderful anecdotal information and sketches

i'm in a class over at contemporary embroidery where karen is having fun trying to keep us all somewhat contained - this class is so amazing and everyone is doing wonderfully inspiring work

I'm a little behind, but plugging away

we're sampling all things stitch and design related, working loosely in the format of the design industry itself - at our own pace

it's fascinating

for my inspirational jumping off point i chose this...


line, contour, detail - many elements, yet so simple

i had a copy made of the original - far more orange than what it looks like in the book, so i thought i might pursue that a little in my early stages

first came an inspiration board of sorts


looking at certain elements, creating a kind of story board


 extending some of the lines


doodling shapes

 then another sheet, a little more abstract this time



now creating surfaces

always pulling out different design elements, enhancing some,  exaggerating others


interpreting and re-interpreting



taking a construction element and creating a design one


stitch, rip, tear, glue, sew



today i'd had enough of the orange - not saying i won't go back to it along the way, but for now, its off the menu
 

 this one's full of smoky neutrals, with a hit of duck-egg blue

my favourite colour combo these days



machine lace, reverse applique, even tried my hand at drawing lace


quite fun, quite forgiving - i'll be trying my hand at this again!


 I'm learning so much about how to look at things to garner inspiration, how to stretch out an idea, creating surfaces and so on


as i said, we're sampling ideas, building a library of them, to be referred to time and time again - all beautifully mounted in a lovely ring-bound sketch book i bought last year at granville island

i'm making an investment in my own creative future, to refer to when i'm feeling stumped, a place to turn when i lose the map and can't decide on a direction

 a book i can curl up with on a rainy day and remember what i did on a different one


9 comments:

Christine B said...

Jillayne, this is a wonderful post. I have been following your progress on Flickr as and when it happens but it is so very satisfying to see it altogether here in sequence. I love the colour combinations. I personally love the orange you have added, it kind of gives everything a golden glow and I totally go with the splashes of white embroidery. They just lift everything right off the page. I have enjoyed your commentary and I love that I can identify and track the source inspiration right the way through to the very end. This kind of blogging really does make me want to start a blog of my own and I will, one day, when the time is right.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

WOW! Your mind is continually creating, and your fingers do the beautiful work.

FlowerLady

Dorthe said...

So many ideas and works, are you having and doing dear Jillayne- and your book, is wonderful, -I love all your sample stitching, so lovely they are, even having a simple and strong appearance, there is almost always a little romance , too- I like thaT very much !!
Have fun in continuing taking your wonderful ideas into the world !
Hugs,Dorthe

Rachel said...

What a fascinating adventure in texture and line

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I know the class must be fascinating - especially if what you are showing us here is any indication! I'm awfully glad I wasn't born in the era when wearing such things was in fashion - just the thought of it makes me feel faint. Can't wait to see what you do next!!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, this is am amazing work of art and sampling in a book to review over and over. I love it and the gorgeous color combos. You must be having so much fun. Thank you for sharing. Have a creative week.
Hugs, cm

karen said...

I also love those books from the V&A. You say you are behind but just look at the volume of work you have, the growing library of information and so beautifully executed too......behind? I don't think so.

Laura said...

You're inspiration boards are amazing! I can't believe the creativity and patience that you have... that I certainly did not inherit, haha. Looking forward to the day that I can stroll through the V&A with you!! XO

FredaB said...

Jillayne your work in class is beautiful. When I stroll thru our class flickr group I can almost always pick out your work before I even see a name. You are doing a wonderful job.

I got behind also andf am struggling to catch up. Maybe seeing the above work by you will get me more motivated.

Hugs
Freda