Thursday, August 27, 2015

messing about with sticks and strings

messing about with sticks and strings and pots and plants...

yesterday i tried my hand at eco-printing again as well as more stitching on previously done papers




if you remember my previous attempt at embroidering on the paper, i wasn't too happy with either the running stitch nor the number of strands of embroidery thread

today i tried a different tack... much longer stitches, going from joint to joint

with japanese leaf stitch at the ends, in lovely hand-dyed silk ribbon

"sea meadow" by judith montano

now we're talking...

yesterday after work i did the latest round of bundle-dyeing

various types of silkand plants form my yard, and in addition to the bundles, i tried the idea of doing silk in the same method as how you dye paper... stacked and layered with plant material and then compressed between two ceramic tiles, bound tightly with thick rubber bands



 boiled for an hour and a half, left to rest in the dye pot overnight and set out on a tray this morning

by 5:00pm i couldn't stand it anymore so started taking apart the stacked bundle

it was so wet though that after lifting off one piece of silk, i quelled my enthusiasm, put the top tile back in place and set it all aside until tomorrow - opening them up will be my reward after a long day at work


the purple colour is coming from the centre of a large gloriosa daisy i pressed - can't wait to see how it came out... fingers crossed the beauty of the flower comes through, at least a little


so i busied myself instead with getting back to stitching on the paper


 stitching tiny leaves within a larger leaf print


following the ridge on one side of the stem



 slowly working my way to the top, thinking about each area, looking closely

not keen on the holes, i'm adding tiny french knots at the joints in the hope of concealing them a little - not sure if it really matters - i may try an even smaller needle tomorrow and see if that makes a difference


thinking that at the top i'd like to add a flower of sorts, something that is going to seed?

there aren't too many days left before the little wildflowers and plants have gone to seed for real and there will be no more opportunities to experiment with this so i'm hoping to try my hand at another stack or two of paper in the coming days - it would be a wonderful thing to have a ream or two of pretty printed papers on which to mess about on a cold winter's day when the things that are green seem far, far away

12 comments:

Rachel said...

You could perhaps whip the back stitches - that would camouflage the needle- holes..

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Wow Jillayne I really love this! What kind of paper are you using (watercolor)or something less heavy? I need to try this and make a little something for my bedroom! I kind of like the holes (but knots would be lovely as well) as they remind me of how some plants have joints.
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog and yes I have read in a number of spiritual books that we should be thankful for the "bad" days as well as the good ones, but it is a challenge. My biggest problem is trying to please other people and feeling like I am falling short of the mark. I have been listening to some brilliant teachers who say it is alright to put yourself first in your own life so I am going to give that a try and see how it feels! Thank you for your advice, it is spot-on!
Tina xo

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh Jillayne ~ Your lovely creations always inspire me. This piece is wonderful.

You are talented in so many different areas.

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, You create beauty in so many ways. Love these creations. Like all you design, each is an inspiration.
Wishing you a nice weekend and those cozy oven dinners soon.
Hugs, cm

Karen B. said...

Dear sweet Jillayne,
you never cease to amaze me with your creativity! I love what you share in the last photograph of this post and I hope you do add flowers to it. Please share your creation once it is complete ~ I can't wait to see it.
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your eco dyed pieces are going to look wonderful I'm sure. It's just great that this form of dyeing is really taking off and there's more and more info and pictures and blog posts about it all the time. Your pages and stitching are beautifully done :)

Createology said...

Sew lovely to see. Your eco-dying has resulted in such delicious soft colors and shapes. It truly would be glorious to have a stack ready to play with on a dreary day of winter. I think your stitching with the "holes" reminds me of "sewing cards" we used to have as children and I loved them. Creative Bliss and Beauty...

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

This is just totally cool! I love it! Hop you are doing well dear friend. Thinking of you. :)

Dorthe said...

Can you hear me sigh dear Jillayne ?, what a beautiful post ,again!!
Your nature dyes are looking gorgeous, and with your embroidery even more beautiful.
I so hope for you the wait till later in the day, gave you what you wished for,- and maybe some surprices, too !!
Have fun dear, and big hugs, to you !!
Dorthe

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Just lovely Jillayne and I don't mind the stitch holes on the paper at all, think it just adds to the wonderful textures!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

oooooooooh. Just oooooooooh. Ever so pretty and feminine! I rather like the holes too. Looking forward to the grand reveal of what's in those bundles!!

Laura said...

Now that it's fall, do you think you could print a maple leaf?! Or holly?!