Tuesday, July 7, 2015

a bling thing

i wouldn't normally describe myself as a bling-girl...

but i do love a sparkly bead or two in my embroidery

several months ago, in a class i was taking with karen ruane, she created the prettiest cloth using bits of bling - it was so delightful that many of us in the class were inspired to make our own bling cloth...
{mine is till in progress - duh, what else is new??? - but you can see a portion of it in the centre of my blog header}

i'm still messing about with the gimp and embroidery - haven't got to the bling just yet - it's the last thing you add as getting the piece into an embroidery hoop can be a challenge if it's already covered in beads

on karen's blog these past weeks she's been showing {among other lovely bits} some lovely little inspiration books she's making... as i love making little books, it wasn't long before i'd assembled a neat little stack of 4" x 5" booklets, just waiting to be filled with little bits of this and that

{my thises and thats are what i like to call "off-cuts and out-casts" - sample pieces from trying various techniques, trimmings from cloth created through said various techniques that have to be cut to a certain size and so there are random sized pieces cut off but not discarded}

i want my booklets themed though - for now it gives me not just a starting point, but also a guidepost

the first one is "bling"


the little scrap you see above and below is a remnant from a piece fme snippet cloth i made

i've added some clusters of beads and a swirl of gimp
after all, bling is about shiny and luxurious and gimp is both those thing...
 

 a few little details and then tied to it's page


below you can see knots from aforesaid tying - aren't they adorable?
there's still more to do here, but for now i'm adding the big bits and will go in with the details later



 next up was this beaded trim i found in a local shop a while back - isn't it grand?

i really wanted to wrap it over the edge of the page, and stitch it through both sides to hold it in place - too fiddly for a hot day so i used acid free tape instead - i'll try the other idea out on a cold winter's day...


love the look of it though - peeking out like this


 whenever i make things like this i do what i know for sure first and then hope inspiration will come and lead me the rest of the way - sometimes i have to wait longer than i want for that to happen, but eventually it does, and i'm always happy to wait on it rather than rushing to be finished


a scrap of folded silk from a few years back, folds tacked together and some bead work emulating what is happening on the purchased piece


i found a beaded/sequined trim at the same time and have yet to use it for anything - it may appear in this book, but it may not - both have inspired me to try my hand at my own beaded trims though

these are sewn on a length of ribbon {of very crummy quality, sadly} so I think if I secure a ribbon well enough, if it's taut, i should be able to come up with something interesting of my own... another cold winter's day project i think!
 

and so the bling-book takes shape

i've made 14 of these booklets and they're all on the book shelf next to my work table, waiting their turn... my subject list includes: silk, linen, cotton, velvet, knots, chain stitch, feather stitch, herringbone, lace, florals, applique, bindings, colour, shape, pattern, toile... the list goes on

little books of exploration and inspiration

go here, here , here and here to see more and be inspired!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

A whole host of interesting possibilities in store for you!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, how neat to have 14 little books of inspiration.

This one you're working on is oh so lovely.

FlowerLady

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, love this idea and your start is beautiful. Lovely header too. The little books on Karen's page are precious. Have fun with this process. I know they will be fabulous.
Hugs, cm

Createology said...

Your little books are priceless and will be treasured heirlooms for generations to come. I love how you are embracing (my word) the bling. Your beaded ribbons will be stunning as are all of your needle and thread creations. I am swooning once again over your simple yet amazing pieces of fabric bliss. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

karen said...

wow Jillayne.....wonderful pages!! and thank you so much for the fanfare!!!!! xxx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

ooooh - my magpie heart so much likes this little book! I will have to content myself with peeking at yours (and Karen's of course) - I must not let myself get seduced away from the projects I already have on the go.

Dorthe said...

Beautiful, beautiful pages of lovely and beautiful "bling" dear Jillayne, I love it and I can`t wait to see more. 14 books are a lot, but I know you will make them all look amazing!!
Sorry for not writing you back, but I`m with Mathilde,- and she and her father and brother will stay next week too ..then you will hear from me :-)
Happy weekend dear !

FlashinScissors said...

I love these ideas of yours, Jillayne! This would look great on a greetings card .... I must try this! Have a lovely weekend. Barbara xx