Monday, June 1, 2015

still...

i've always liked the word "still"

loving the many different meanings - it rings of continuity, constancy, quiet - at rest

now that all the work-related stitching is behind me, i've turned back to my own stitching desires

my list of five is with me still

 i'm working on a list i created back in early march... the one thing left on it is a queen size christmas/winter quilt

every year, both before and after christmas, i swear to myself that the next christmas will see winter-themed quilts on each of the beds - not screaming christmas in either fabric or design, but a warm wintry feeling that would suitable for two to three months

and every year, the cycle repeats itself

so in early march when it was time for a new list of five things to work on until they're done, i finally put one of those quilts on the list 

i'm cutting and piecing away now with high hopes that the top should completed in about a week's time

i can tell you it's been a long haul with this latest list - so many wonderful distractions have tempted me fiercely, but a plan is a plan, and i've stuck to it...

there is just one little side-step though... in order to make it all workable, i decided early on in this methodology that one of the five things on each list would be any project already begun in any online classes i've ever taken

that gives me a few things to choose from for quiet evening stitching - i love stitching of an evening, after all the work of the day is done and the world becomes still

i've always got a nice little stack of things i can easily pick up and work on - i keep each project bundled with it's thread so i never have to try and remember colour numbers

yesterday i picked up this one...


 the light was already going when i took these photos - the colours are sage, pale peachy-pink, gold, cream

the fabrics are silk, cotton and lace


a simple weaving for the design, then embroidery to hold it all together and add some surface texture
 

 i started this one a couple of years ago and now have a hankering to finish it - i'll make it into a nice sized pouch to hold some of my special cloth


 random stitching here and there, no rhyme or reason to it

i don't want it to be "precious", nor contrived in any way


still though, i am very excited about the prospect of a new list

i'm already day-dreaming about just what i might put on the next one... what project has been put off year after year, what technique do i want time to really explore and develop, what would i make if i could make whatever i want????

i still don't know



11 comments:

Tina said...

looks like a weawed piece - is it?
Perfect for a stitching project.
it´ll be a very pretty pouch

Rachel said...

Lists can be addictive, can't they!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love this piece that you are working on. As always Jillayne, you inspire me.

Thank you and have a good week ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

I still prefer your lovely stitching on these pieces. You do it so well - certainly a challenge for my eyesight. I'll look forward to seeing your "wintery" quilt when you have it all pieced. Being a rainy day today, I think I'll start a crazy quilt piece, a few new stitches to embellish it, you inspire me to try again. Thanks for sharing once again.

karen said...

great choice Jillayne, such gentle colours. I know how it feels to have several pieces in progress and a desire to work on them all......

Dorthe said...

A beautiful patchworked and embroidered piece of many lovely fabrics ,hold together by your gorgeous stitching, Jillayne. You always create beauty, being on your lists or, being something you are doing according to your work. Your thoughts are always interesting to read, too.
Hugs,Dorthe

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Dearest Jillayne! What a gorgeous project and I completely understand the project list and trying to remain faithful to it. As you know I was unblogger for about 18 months and getting myself sorted out and resolved to put myself and my "projects" first rather than last has taken me all this time! Lord willing I can stay strong and not be side tracked again! I wanted to thank you for the comment you left a few months ago on my blog, it helped me find my way back to my blog and helped me realize just how much I had missed my dear Blogger friends! I look forward to seeing all your new projects and hearing all your news! I remain....
Tina xoxo

deanna7trees said...

your color choices are always so beautifully elegant. love the weaving and your stitching.

Createology said...

And...Still...I am enchanted with your woven and stitched bits of fabric coming together as a pouch to hold special pieces. I am liking the still of the evening when the sun sets and yet it is light still...
My goal this month of hectic and very busy days is to find JOY in each and every day. June JOY Dear...

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, your work is dreamy. I love the fabrics and the shabby style of this with the wonderful stitiches.
It is still and stunning.
Happy June my friend.
Hugs CM

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I so have to admire your ability to make a list and stick to it. I can do the list part (and do - often) but then I set it aside and tear off in all sorts of other directions. Obviously have the attention span of a gnat!!