Thursday, April 9, 2015

truth...

 a week or two ago i was feeling bad about not posting enough on this poor, sad blog of mine

thinking about it while working on some simple handwork, i wondered if a series of posts on a particular subject might be a good motivator for me, and perhaps something interesting for you?

working with my favourite blue-grey thread, letting my mind drift away, i wondered if i was drawn to it because i hadn't yet understood the truth of it

"the truth of {a colour}"

"the truth of {a stitch}"

and finally,

"the truth of {a fabric}"

i liked it

before i could sort out a plan though, the busyness of everyday life crowded in again and short of a quick note on a random scrap of paper, nothing more was developed

and then last night i sat down to do one of the last meditations in the latest series by oprah and deepak chopra

i felt like the message for day 20 was written just for me

"finding your uniqueness, knowing your inner truth"

"release trying to be someone that you're not"

i've been casting about for years trying to find my own creative voice, getting distracted along the way by the amazing work of other people, but always learning, new techniques, new materials 

lately i'd found myself at a standstill, wondering which way to go
the longer i stood there, the more frustrated i got, the more it felt like i was at a roadblock rather than at a cross-roads

and last night, after the meditation was over, after listening to some awfully wise words and thinking about what not only what they meant, but what they meant for me, i found myself standing in my own truth

"standing in my own truth"

this morning i reacquainted myself with what that truth is, what it is i love to do, to work with, to create


 the fabrics, the textures, the colours


the surfaces that can be created, by hand, or by machine


 the ribbons, the lace, the threads


 swirling, flowing, neatly, lightly


 scraps of lace being tacked in place


 a sort of mosaic in the making


crinkled silk,  grey silk


even gold - quickly preparing a few bases on which to experiment
 

 i filled half a page with ideas for taking this further


and another half with using the same technique in a completely different way

feeling like i'm right back on top!

i want to thank all of you for such wise words on my last post - such good advice there and i am already making plans so i can get back to a structured daily practice of sketching and/or painting - nothing fancy, but something
 
meanwhile, i am working on the first post of the "truth" series which will begin on monday

i'm so excited!


11 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I just went back and read the comments on your previous post - some deep thought went into many of them and so many truths I think. My biggest bug is the necessary (or seemingly so) 'doing for others' that I get embroiled in. I find it so difficult to say no to a friend who wants me to do this, make that. Then I wonder why I become so resentful and also why the very long list of things I want to do never seems to dwindle. I am slowly coming to the realization that I need to focus on one (or two) things and let the rest go. I love crazy quilting so that will be my main 'thing'. I need to have a grand clean out of my studio and get rid of the things that are dragging me down - the things that I keep for the just in case scenarios. I truly think that exercise will be freeing - not only in real space, but in creativity as well. All this babble, simply to say that I can't wait to see what you will have for us on Monday. I want to see your truth - and hopefully learn from it.

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, I am trying to catch up with my friends tonight while I am waiting for a phone call from my daughter. She calls as she is heading home from the hospital. I curious to see what your pictures with the lace is going to turn into. I like your sketching and painting also. I look at my heart and think of you. Take care. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

BumbleVee said...

too deep for me I'm afraid...I'm more a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants girl.... do what I want, when I want...or not at all.... maybe do something else tomorrow ...

Hope works for you...

Rachel said...

So glad to see energy and inspiration are returning!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love seeing what you are inspired to do in this post.

Do what you love and leave the rest.

Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

Mosaic Magpie said...


"i've been casting about for years trying to find my own creative voice, " Oh, my friend, I think this is a comment we would hear from many/most of our friends. I have to wonder if even those we feel have found their creative voice, are not still looking for more? There will always be those that do it better...from stitching, painting, doll making, quilting and everything else humans create. It is good to be inspired by others, there is always something we can learn from each other. But finding that one song our heart can sing, to a melody that is all our own. Wow that would be sweet.
xo,
Deb

Marj Talbot said...

Your posts are ALWAYS interesting and I look forward to each and every one. I'm especially looking forward to all the drawing/sketching/painting that you are headed into - it is so refreshing to say the least. The TRUTH is, it's what I always wanted to do but just don't have the talent. Keep up the great work and thanks tons for sharing.

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne, somewhere I do think, that we are all inspired by other artists, whom themselves are also inspired from others, and so it goes...., in my oppinion. Learning from here, and there, eventually leads us to find the tone of our own true creativeness, but always we have "borrowed" a technique- an idea, or something else from someone out there, as we are all so influensed by what we see and learn, and so lucky to live with computers, making all this happen!! So please go on, doing all your different and amazing art pieces, even they might not be all coming from within yourself, it is created with your own heart and in your own true way of thinking the piece , and I love what you do !!!
Hugs,Dorthe

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne,
I am so excited for you in finding your own truth and working it into the designs and creations within you. They are just waiting to come out.

I often have to dig deep and pull this reality out of myself too. We all have our own journey and creations to evolve with. While we are inspired by other artists, we must still find our own style.

I am sure you found yours and it continues to amaze us all as you bring joy through your designs.
Great post.
Have a wonderful weekend my talented friend.
Hugs, CM

Suztats said...

I always find inspiration here, along with thought-provoking questions. While for many people, the path is clear, others struggle to find their direction.
'For me' is the pertinent point, I think. At least, in my case. I have always created, whether with paint, pencil, needle and thread, icing, fabric or music. And I've enjoyed it all, and look forward to learning and trying more. Is the quest because I am not happy? I think not. The hunger to learn more leads to me being able to express myself in different mediums, to mix them, to find new and different ways to use my own voice. The joy is in the creating for me. But, although I have chosen to create for others, I do not necessarily follow others' methods/patterns/designs. I do not create to others' criteria. Perhaps this makes a difference in the satisfaction, that I follow my own voice no matter the medium or the subject. I do it my way. It doesn't always work out, but the journey is always one of interest, if not pleasure.
What if??? is the question I ask myself. And I find myself on an unknown path where adventure (and possible catastrophe) await.
For me, this is my truth, at least right now. That could always change. Whether one finds a niche where creativity blossoms, or a wide array of paths to follow, the result should be one of pleasure and fulfillment. I always say that creating grounds me and fills my soul. May your soul be filled. Hugs

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Although the internet is an amazing and wonderful place, it can quickly become overwhelming as all the ideas and inspirations swirl around in your head. Paralyzed by the endless possibilities, it's a feeling I know all too well! You have settled on the perfect project I think Jillayne and the truth is ... I can hardly wait to read your next post!