Saturday, April 11, 2015

adrift...

bits of lace adrift on a patch of grey silk...

it's such a rough, slubby silk it reminds me of old weathered wood

the kind where the elements have completely stripped away any finish it might have once had, leaving the grain of the wood rough and raised

 the colour of this silk is to me reminiscent of driftwood - the oldest kind of driftwood, where the water and sun have bleached away all the brown and all you have left is a ghost-like remnant of what it once was


rummaging through boxes, bottles, and jars
{i did say that sometimes my creative junkets feel somewhat like science experiments!}

i found some special buttons and charms, gathered from travels here and there, safely tucked away in little labelled pouches and envelopes
{another storage system that could use a re-vamp - perhaps i should take the whole "science" thing further and catalogue it all - that actually might be kind of fun, now i think about it...}

along with all those shiny things, i decided to add some ribbon embroidery, in the form of a tiny rosebud on one section and an accordion rose on another


delicate french knots enhance a curve whilst a small rock adds a contrast of weight and substance... pretty and rough, delicate and heavy


 i really like it - love it actually

it took three hours to add these nine bits
all of 30 minutes to actually sew them in place - 2 1/2 hours to decide on them


the metal leaf charm is from a bracelet bought in a charity shop in stow-on-the-wold
i bought it for parts...

the little button, from a vintage button shop in sisters oregon


the lace bits?

some are very old, others rather new
some were already in tatters, some i had to tatter myself


as i worked on this i had the nagging feeling it reminded me of something, especially after i decided the silk reminded me of driftwood

thinking back, of flowers on driftwood, i remembered a trip we once took to visit my mom's parents who lived in rural alberta at the time

they owned a gift store in the tiny town of vauxhall, the front being the store and the back being their living quarters

i loved walking down the aisles, looking at all the lovely things, many made by my grandmother herself
my favourites were the flower arrangements - beautiful silk flowers and shells on interesting pieces of driftwood - the wood chosen for uniqueness of shape and colour, the flowers, perfectly nestled in the exact right place

on one of the days we drove to the old man river to collect more driftwood for grandma's supply
i was old enough to want to help, young enough to be told to stay away from the water, entranced enough to wish i could keep what i found -

i've thought of that day, those arrangements many times over the years and to this day i have a box full of driftwood in the spare closet

it's been used in flower arrangements, made into canes for elves, adorned with colourful threads and bells, fashioned into a crooked little fence for my herb garden - the list goes on

i think of my two grandmothers quite often - my dad's mom i knew very well, my mom's not very well at all
one gave to me what was precious to her - jewellery, wine glasses, pretty silver dishes, all lovely, all gratefully received, all treasured

but the other gave me what was precious to me...
money for my beloved sewing machine

and a life-long love for creativity

8 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love your 'creativity' and thank your grandmother for giving you money for a sewing machine and the gift of wanting to create loveliness.

I love this piece that you've just put together. Soothing and feminine.

Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

Mosaic Magpie said...

She also shared with you her heart...what wonderful memories you made and now have. The stitching piece is becoming a real treasure. Everything we need we already have....did you say that, one time? Well anyway, I read it on a blog and here you are proving the point. I have to wonder about the things we purchase at different times, in different places...not really sure what we will do with them, but we have to, have them. Then all those bits are gathered together and we see what they were meant to be and why we had to have them.
xo,
Deb

Rachel said...

I occasionally think I should catalogue all of my materials, but I can't imagine having enough undisturbed time, so I end up scrabbling through boxes...

Which is a sort of fun!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, ~and the gift she gave was the creativity to continue through you. Isn't it special how these wonderful artists in our lives influenced us long before we even knew it would happen?? My grandmother was that to me as well and I often think of her (my mom's mother) when I create and crochet.

Love your gorgeous bits and pieces design. All the details make it the perfect gorgeous piece for those little snippets left from other
projects to live on.

Have a blessed and creative day!
Hugs, CM

Suztats said...

Bless your grandmother.
I look at this collection of fragile bits and pieces on it's background of greyed wood....the taking of this and that from different places, bits that entranced, pieces that reflected and informed. Isn't it a bit like life? We take pieces of memories, of happenings, of our interactions with others, the skills and knowledge we have learned. Some of them are shiny and new, some weathered and old, some cherished, and all the bits and pieces come together to make us who we are. When we create, do we create a reflection of ourselves? Of how we see ourselves at that moment? Or only bits and pieces of ourselves? I often wonder..........

Marj Talbot said...

The piece of "drift wood" fabric is so special. Your creativity has definitely carved a path through your journey of life and fortunate for us you have passed on much of what you have learned and cherish. Grandma would be so pleased and proud as I certainly am. Thank you dear friend for sharing once again.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think my creative genes were passed down to me through both my grandmothers, and also my mother. My grandmas both were quilters and made gorgeous quilts, all by hand. My maternal grandmother also dabbled in knitting and crocheting. My mother did many things (tatting, knitting, painting) in her younger years but was in a very serious car accident when I was only six and subsequently spent the remainder of her life in pain and unable to pursue her creative side. Dunno why I thought I'd tell you all that, when what I really wanted to comment on was how much I liked the 'discussion' between the old and new, soft and hard, edges that are evident in your current piece of work.

Laura said...

Beautiful words Mom!