Wednesday, February 4, 2015

gone bananas...

when you're feeling kind of lousy, no energy, there's nothing like sitting still and doing something quiet...

today i dug out my watercolours and puttered


the only fruit in the house was an aging banana
didn't seem all that inspiring but serves me right for dodging grocery shopping this week


i started sketching it shortly after eleven

and when i thought i was done i looked at the clock

one-thirty!


the first image is the way it sat while i painted it - i just had fun turning the paper for the picture-taking, looking at it from every angle

it looks a little different in the photographs as well
more burnished i think - must be that the camera emphasizes the white space?

i really know nothing so am just guessing on this point


i can't tell you how thrilled i am with it though
positively gleeful, i was


 i rummaged around and found the pear i did many years ago in a watercolour class i did with a local artist


i noticed when i took the picture i signed it with january as the date
shows you just how far behind my mind is - i did this today!

yeesh


 now i'm thinking of what i want to paint next - strawberries come to mind, or radishes
i love radishes - they are such a pretty colour and with their green leaves still attached, lots of scope for colour and freshness in the painting

or grapes - they look so pretty in their bunches

i may have to venture to the grocery store after all



13 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You did a lovely job with the banana.

I'd like to see strawberries, they are a favorite of mine too.

Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

great painting - always wished I could paint but never really tackled it. Radished - colour to behold - love to see your painting of them. Hope you're feeling better.

Mosaic Magpie said...

You did an excellent job of capturing the colors and reflections. You mention it looks different upside down...I took some painting classes and the teacher always had us turn the painting upside down to see things in a different perspective...we also looked at it over our shoulder in a mirror. I think it is like seeing things in a photograph you missed while taking the photo.
Radishes do have a lovely range of colors...go to the store we want to see more!!!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne,
Your watercolors are amazing. I love it and the way you captured the shadows and highlights. Isn't it fun and so very addictive. You are an excellent artist and one of those people who can do it all. Have fun and keep painting.
Hugs, CM

Rachel said...

I can just imagine the conversation in the greengrocer's : "No, not those - the other ones, they look more paintable!"

Dorthe said...

Your banana looks totally real Jillayne ,so wonderful, you have such a talent in painting, too my friend.
I hope you are not sick, and am feeling much better soon !!
Hugs from Dorthe

Diane Kelsey said...

You obviously have an artistic talent too, Some very impressive work. I am always envious of people who can draw/paint with ease.

Lesley Austin said...

It's a wonderful capture of a humble but attractive fruit. And I am smiling to know that you like to "dodge" the grocery shopping sometimes, too.

karen said...

this is brilliant Jillayne!! The shading is amazing and the colour too, the yellow. I used to like painting cherries in watercolour when I had a tutor stood behind me forcing me to paint....

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow - this is so great! I can't paint (or draw) to save my soul so I admire what you've done.

Createology said...

Now that is a fine banana when done in your sketch and watercolor "time-lapse". Funny your banana and pear are in the same color tones (at least to my eyes). Hmmm...French Radishes with some lovely Butter and Fleur de Sel. Maybe I should go to the store...but then our radishes are nothing like the grand ones from the French open air markets. I do wish you to get well and feel better than new my friend.

Suztats said...

Fabulous painting Jillayne. You captured it perfectly. Can't wait to see more fruit, and vegetables, and.....

Monica said...

Really well done! I am SO proud of you!
Now you have to come here in the Spring so we can stroll around little villages and gardens, sketchbook and camera in hand... and have tea and cake while painting and chatting of art and life, of course!
xoxo