Saturday, January 24, 2015

"faith" and what???

can't believe it's been ten days since i did a blog post... last week was a busy one for me with classes and work and the week before even more so
back to normal now though, and still a whole week left in january

for some reason, for me anyway, january never rushes by - it goes at it's own pace and i feel as though i truly get the whole month

things always get different in february - perhaps it's "short month" syndrome...

anyway, in between all my teaching prep i'm puttering slowly at some techniques karen is demonstrating in "swathed in stitch"

working with cross-stitch letters on silk with waste canvas


in deciding on what letters to use i thought perhaps it would be easier if i had a word, rather than just random letters with no particular meaning
not one of those new year's chosen words - been there, done that - just a word to focus this piece on

and since i had already decided, against my nature, to just make samples to put in a ledger i knew i needed something that would help me focus on that
'cause i always seem to think if i'm stitching something, it actually has to be something when it's finished, like a bag or a wall-hanging or such
this time, i just want to do the work and mount it as a reference i can refer back to

so i chose "faith"
i need to have faith in the process and that through it i will get where i want to be
faith that if i do the work, the ideas will come


faith that even though i do not like stitching on waste canvas at all

at all

at all

at all

it will be worth it in the end


 and of course it was

i do love the results...



 my "f" seemed a little plain though so i got out some coloured pencils and began doodling a flower on my chart - i think i have it figured out but want to add two more green stitches, just enough to spread the flower out from the boundaries of the letter


 but i am thrilled all the same


transferring the letter tracings to my water-colour paper, thinking of what to do with this next, i decided if having a word was useful, then a phrase or a quote should be downright beneficial

so i scoured the internet looking for faith quotes - however, i soon discovered most of them are about the feeling of faith rather including the word itself

i did find one though


"all you need is faith and trust
and a little bit of pixie dust"


i like it a lot - it seems very "me"
thoughtful with a hint of sarcasm?
or realism???

regardless i do like it very much and now i'm thinking on pixie dust - for me it has connotations of little bitty sparkly bits
cool

in the meanwhile i'm down for the count with a nasty flu so am doing very little - just some gentle stitching

and speaking of words, your little word-hearts are piling up and should be in your hands by mid-february

just in time...




12 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Oh my gosh, here you are at it again. A new technique and I can tell you I would NOT want to do that right now. Better you than me.

As always, your work is lovely and I like the quote you found.

Happy creating ~ FlowerLady

Diane Kelsey said...

I have never used waste canvas before, it looks like it has endless possibilities.

Karen B. said...

Dear Jillayne,
so you really need to do an online tutorial of this ...PLEASE!!! I will be the first one to buy it. I would just love to learn this technique. It is such a shame you are in BC and I am in Ontario ~ I would be at your classes all the time. Your are so talented girl!
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Mosaic Magpie said...

As I was reading the post I was in agreement that stitching needs to have a purpose. Something needs to made from the results or with the results, but stithcing for the sake of stitching no longer interests me. When you mentioned the word faith, I too was thinking of quotes, verses, ways to use the word. Faith luck and pixie dust has just the right amount of whimsy to it and yes sparkly bits must be in the mix. The cross stitching on silk is beautiful as are the threads you have selected for your piece. Why is it you dislike the using the waste canvas?
xo,
Deb

Suztats said...

I haven't used the waste canvas--yet, but I have some on hand for when inspiration or need strike. I like that quote, and your letters look so perfect. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Marj Talbot said...

sorry to hear you have a flu bug at your place - stay warm, relax and recover quickly. Your stitching on waste canvas is superb as usual. I've never tried that technique and would love to know how. The quote is great and I look forward to seeing the finished piece - thanks tons for sharing.

Createology said...

Oh dear...Healing Energy for you to feel better than new very soon. Lovely stitching on dreamy silk. I like this quote and of course relate to the pixiedust. Mr. C says I have glitter on my face everyday...maybe pixie's are blessing me and leading me to wonderful inspiration you share so freely. Creative Faith Bliss My Friend...

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

So sorry you are not well Jillayne, sending you healing energy and faith that you will be better very soon. Here's a sprinkling of fairy dust to help you on your way!

Laura said...

I love the idea of sparkly thread for the pixie dust - it's so fitting. Paparazzi Dad sent me a picture of you parked on the couch with a cup of tea, so hopefully it is doing the trick and you are feeling better soon! XO

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So sorry you have succumbed to the 'nasties' - do hope you're feeling better really soon. Take care of you!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, sorry you have the flu. I hope you are feeling better soon and continue to amaze us with your super talents. Love this creation like all your share, this is gorgeous.
Sending healing pixie dust your way.
Hugs

karen said...

pixie dust.....how lovely....