Wednesday, January 14, 2015

breaking the rules...

well, maybe they're more like guidelines...

just when i said i didn't do darts or facings - well, seems i can after all


four darts, two on the front, two on the back

60+ hand appliqued circles

and more french knots than i care to count

hand-made handles

facings all around


 it wasn't my plan to quilt it by hand - i really intended to do it by machine... in the end though, it begged to be done by hand
 

and even though it put me behind by three days, i'm so glad i did


i'm also glad of the facing - it makes the inside so very neat and tidy

and did i mention the piping????
i don't do piping either - but it seems that's another personal sewing rule out the window - i piped it and i love it


the interesting thing about all of these techniques is that they really aren't complicated - not even time-consuming

i'm puzzled as to why i resisted them for so many years
 i remember well my thirteen year old self getting frustrated beyond belief with zippers and facings - needles pricking, hands sweating, uneven stitches, ripping out seams over and over again, re-positioning, pinning and yet more pinning

trying so hard
 

 sometimes i was afraid i would ruin the fabric with all my un-picking and re-sewing

i even nick-named my seam ripper "jack"


fourty years later this bag went like a breeze - read the instructions... follow the bouncing ball

pin, baste, sew
you would not believe how much basting i did whilst finishing this bag

i basted the fabric to the handle, the handle to the bag, the piping inside the fabric strip, the basted piping strip to the bag, the facing to the bag - i basted all of that and then some
holding everything securely in place, those large stitches took barely minutes to do...
and from there it was zip ah de doo dah done!

i just might be a convert

22 comments:

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne, your hand-art-work is just stunning, and it amazes me how much you are creating with your clever hands, in no time .
This bag is so beautiful,and I love your hand quilting , and it has a lovely form, too.
Hope your January is not as wet as mine is here !!!
Hugs from Dorthe

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

WOW Jillayne ~ Is there any stitching that you can NOT do? I doubt it. As always your stitching is beautiful.

Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

There's definitely a warm feeling from hand stitching - this is the nicest bag I've ever seen. It's amazing how different techniques can come together to create a special look. Machine quilting would look different but this is the best. Thanks tons for sharing a picture of this project.

Diane Kelsey said...

How lovely is that bag and well done for stepping out of your comfort zone. You were right to hand quilt.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Aha! You have been assimilated! This is a beautiful piece of art Jillayne and you should be so proud of it, and of yourself for conquering your fears and doing things outside your comfort zone. I, too, remember the teenaged angst of trying to learn to sew - we've come a long way haven't we.

Shirley said...

Good Morning, Awesome job and I have enjoyed catching up with you this morning. I just know from reading your blog that you can accomplish almost anything when you set you mind to it. I Have enjoyed catching up with you this morning. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley

Wendy said...

My mum taught me to sew. She taught me to pin, then hand baste, then machine stitch. I abandoned the basting immediately and the pins (in most cases) not long after, I just find it goes together better if I don't! Love your bag, it turned out beautifully

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Hands down this may be my favorite of yours ever!!!! Please consider entering it in a local contest. Blue ribbon time <3

Becca said...

Wow! That's stunning! Hi Jillayne! I'm baaack! Lol
I just had to come over and see what you've been up to and I am still just so inspired to put down my crochet hook and get to my sewing machine! Always lovely projects here. I hope you had a nice holiday season. Happy 2015!

Rachel said...

Lovely - and it's fascinating to hear of these past rules that have now become guidelines.

Louise Michie said...

Brilliant.

KW said...

Absolutely stunning!!!!!!

Createology said...

Stunning and Amazing bag you have created. Isn't it amazing what we CAN do once we set aside those early years of failure and fear? You are sew capable of making fabric into art my friend! This bag takes my breath away...

Mosaic Magpie said...

First of all let me say the bag is a work of heART! The hand quilting adds such an amazing texture that a machine is incapable of doing. All the basting though time consuming paid off.
Speaking to your younger self...sometimes projects are just not meant to be or the time is just not right. The more we struggle with a process like inserting a zipper the worse things become. At those times it is better to get up and leave the project come back later and things usually go smoother.
Facings + Darts + Hand Quilting + Piping + Circles + French Knots=Beautiful!
xo,
Deb

karen said...

ha...you don't do piping? neither do I,,,lol...and basting? I call it tacking but there's a lot of that goes on here too. This is amazing, I love it, keep a close eye on it because I would be tempted to steal it!!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Jillayne, your bag is stunning and the hand work makes it a masterpiece. I love the tone on tone of neutral color.
Simply a wonderful work of art and one of a kind.
You make it look easy but one can see the hours of work involved. I know you love this artform and it shows.
Glad you are a convert!!

Hugs and have a great weekend.
XO

Deb said...

Beautiful and well worth the effort, breaking your own rules and doing those steps that once intimidated you, the end result perfect bag.

Suztats said...

Maybe it was all the basting that made the difference. I know when I was young I 'couldn't be bothered' doing all that prep work......no wonder things didn't work out the way they should have... lol!!
That is one gorgeous bag, Jillayne, and proves that taking one's time shows in the finished product.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

It is so gorgeous Jillayne. What a treasure!

suziqu's thread works said...

Dear Jillayne
This bag is simply a work of heART for sure. It is absolutely stunning! - It needs to be showcased in your home to remind yourself just how clever you are! I love the handstitched quilting with the sweet handmade circles and tiny French knots, facings, darts and piping makes it all so much more special. I too have done it all and so can appreciate the wonderful effort you have put into this!!
Hugs,
Suzy

FredaB said...

Circles, circles, circles - love them all. I remember seeing you working on them earlier. Look at what you have accomplished. This bag is gorgeous and the colour so you.

Keep up the great work.

Hugs
FredaB

Tina said...

Love the round dots and the stitching Jillayne - so very pretty.