Friday, December 19, 2014

taupe...continuing...

working on this book still, following the path of yoko saito's taupe colour theory but adding in a dash of me here and there

a painted card purchased in oregon last summer has the perfect colour mix


part of it on the cover, the leftover parts inside


her theory is based on creating the perfect mix of grey-toned and beige-toned fabrics
creating a colour wheel, complete with light and dark accents


because her quilted items always incorporate embroidery I'm looking for ways to bring that element into the mix
after all, it's what drew me to her work in the first place


each colour group has a shape
this one is squares and rectangles - it's my way to make them regular, hers is to make them irregular
i kind of like the randomness of that


it's stretching me


pulling me in new directions
trying hard to be imprecise 
it's a lot harder than one might think!


i've been doing this piecing by hand and it has reawakened a desire for "slow" quilting in me, where i piece by hand, cutting with scissors, nothing perfect, no matching, letting it come together as it will... a slowing down

and then there's hand-quilting...

what i'm liking most of all is taking the time to play with my fabric, play with colours and play with shapes... I guess what i'm saying is, i think i've found a new playground...

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Finding a new playground sounds wonderful. And yes, maintaining unevenness is hard work!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a delightful and inspiring post. I love your colors and what you are doing. There just aren't enough hours in a day to learn and do everything one would like to. One can aspire though.

Have a wonderful Christmas week.

FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

The irregular ones are more like crazy quilting. Cutting by hand and stitching by hand, it all resembles what was done in days gone by. What joy and comfort still today from this technique.
Your colours are so wonderful.

Createology said...

All our teachings when we were young was to be absolutely PRECISE! Do it over until it was precise and right! I totally understand how unnatural it is to do "irregular" or "wonky" or "shabby" or "random" and on and on...
I find I must force myself to "sew sloppy" and when I do I find it very freeing. I love your new playground you are enjoying. Taupes, greys, beiges...exactly the perfect card you found. Blessings and Bliss Dear...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think we'd all love to come and play in your playground! The fun you're having just shines through in these pieces.

Deb said...

As a life-long hand quilter I can say with certainty there is a deep pleasure in piecing and quilting by hand, not only does the process force one to slow down the act of stitching can become almost meditative. Your color palette will surely open up a new area of play for you as will the random shapes. All of Your work I have seen posted here has a wonderful style and grace to it and I imagine this new direction will continue to unlock other areas to play in. Have a Merry Christmas and happy stitching.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I think we can all learn something from your discoveries. Our years of being precise in seam allowances, cutting of pieces, speedily sewing along lead to beautiful projects....but did we really enjoy the process? I think taking time, enjoying each step, giving up thoughts of precision and allowing the project take a voice of it's own is what it's all about. Love this color study and the book you are creating.
Merry Christmas, my friend!
Deb

karen said...

loving these mini sheets crammed with information!!

Dorthe said...

They are beautiful, and I love uneveness dear Jillayne, they are small lovely pieces of almost Crazy quilting , wonderful .
As my time online for now, till after christmas is limited, I just want to wish you a very Merry Christmas for you and your family.
Hugs,-Dorthe

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, gorgeous works from your talented hands. I love the uniqueness of the stitches and various directions.
The color combos are beautiful.

Wishing you the spirit of the season and a very Merry Christmas.
Thank you for the many posts of inspiration and I look forward to more fun visits in the new year.
Hugs!!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I am totally loving this book and those fabrics. They are so calming. Merry Christmas girlfriend!

Tanya @ Bead and Needle said...

I.Love.This!