Wednesday, December 10, 2014

making magic

fabric and thread is a magical combination for me; thread joins fabric shapes to create something wonderful, but real magic happens when the thread lies on top...

when i first started on this circle bag i wasn't so sure about it - the picture in the book is lovely indeed but my few bare appliqued circles, all in light beigey-greys - well, it was a little barren

so i began with embroidering just one, and then another, and the more i did, the better it looked

texture

the texture of the stitch, and the texture created by the slight distortion of the fabric beneath it


 keen to see how each fabric would change, i embroidered until the wee hours the other night...

and see those faint blue lines?

those will be darts

there goes the "no darts" rule...

i'll let you know how that works out


 after the circles comes hand-quilting

hand-quilted circles around each applique, then lines swirling off into the spare emptiness of the upper section


 still more circles need to be added but like i said, i couldn't wait to begin the embroidery
i kept telling myself i needed to see how they would look in order to balance out the colours... yeah right - i wanted to get to the magical part...


this bag is a sample for a new class of mine

  based on yoko saito's style of japanese quilting

exploring taupe colour arrangements
discovering shape
adding embroidery


i've been working in these colours for years, and much as i thought i knew them, there is so much still to learn

her taupe theory book breaks it down, building a taupe colour wheel, balancing the greys and the beiges, intermingling them, adding accents
 

 the first one i'm tackling is one she calls "nut-tart"
rich greens and browns, fawn, grey and pink


 the diagram for the blocks is a log cabin but her samples are actually courthouse steps

i chose to make mine the same
freely cut, adding angles where they wouldn't normally be, creating an orderly haphazard look - that was a challenge for me!


deciding to extend her ideas with my own, working with squares and rectangles together and separately


it never ceases to amaze me how different fabrics look when cut into tiny pieces


playing now with the nine-patch


a stack of fabric squares
"grown-up building blocks"


 in her book, ms. saito stresses you cannot truly understand a colour unless you think of it also in terms of scent, taste, texture, hearing
i'd never thought of it that way before, at least not in terms of fabric and quilting

i love it though

it's a wonderful, eye-opening, magic-making way of looking at colour

and i am spell-bound

10 comments:

Rachel said...

There is always more to learn about colour!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a great post! So much to learn in this life.

I love the embroidery on your circles, definite magic there.

Your new work and colors are wonderful too.

I am 'always' inspired when I visit your blog.

Happy Creating!

Enjoy your holidays ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

The bag will be really nice - waiting to see it finished.
Always like to see your stitching - so perfectly done.

lynn said...

i love how you are always eager to put your thoughts to fabric
you are truly one talented lady
thank you for sharing
much love this holiday season and always
xoxo
lynnl

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wish I could take that class! I was fascinated by the circles and then I scrolled down and saw the interesting colours. Also giggled when I read 'nut-tart' - DH was making butter tarts this afternoon!!

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh my, that is going to be so lovely Jillayne! And what an interesting idea to think of colours with all of your senses, I'll have to ponder on that one, it is very intriguing!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

You always amaze with your creations. The bag is going to be wonderful and I love how the circles look with the stitching. The color of the fabrics pieces are very interesting too and seem to transform when placed in the quilt shapes. So much to take from color theory.
Thank you for sharing what you are creating. Your talents are an inspiration.
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs

Mosaic Magpie said...

This so interesting...I know with each small addition of tint, light and dark there is change in color, but I never would have considered taste and smell to figure into the mix. Nice study you are doing with the blocks.....very interesting.

Createology said...

I always learn from your posts my friend. Colors are not my stron-suit and I love to see how you strip them down to the most basic elements. Love your fabrics and squares. As for your circles with embroidery and texture...delicious! I do see the bag shape and am looking forward to seeing it all finished. Blissful Stitching Dear...

Tanya @ Bead and Needle said...

More of my favorite colors! I adore that moss green. Can't wait to see this finished bag, also - wish Canada was closer! XOXO