Monday, December 29, 2014

amethyst

continuing along...

working with these soft, pale neutrals was soul-soothing during some very hectic days in early december... days when it seemed i would never get to the end of any to-do list

the pale beauty and subtle colour shifts captured my imagination... somehow the minor differences became amplified as i paid closer attention to each of them


as before, you begin with the taupe colour wheel, arranging the beige-tones and grey-tones, finding the "accents" and determining grey-beige proportions
This one turned out to be fairly equal, but I loved how the colours drifted into pale purple, lending themselves to the naming of the collection as a whole

"amethyst"

which easily led to a shape to explore

squares stretching to diamonds


as before, all pieces cut without measuring
pieced by hand

then moving on to measured pieces, layering
Introducing darker values


i could fiddle with these colour collections for a long time, there's just so much to explore, to play with

i've had to resort to writing my ideas down, but it's hard to capture the excitement i feel - i seem to be able to record the mechanics of my "inspired" ideas well enough, but looking back on some i wonder why i was so excited about them at all

they lose their shine, the sparkle's gone and sometimes there's barely a dull sheen left

as if my diamond in the rough became an opal

so as this year comes to a close that's one of the things i'm going to work on for the new year
perhaps i'll make it easy on myself and make it the only thing
a focus on better organization and recording of ideas and plans
it may sound a little boring but i'm of the opinion it will be an exceedingly worthwhile venture

especially if it helps me sort out the ever-increasing pile of scribbled notes and sketchy diagrams i'm continually riffling through

time to make some plans...






11 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm liking the results of your fiddling. More, please!

Marj Talbot said...

Purple, lavender, amethyst, definitely on my faves list. We visited a mine site near Thunder Bay and picked up a few pieces of amethyst. Lovely - nice keepsake.
Yes, your fiddling is very interesting - staying tuned for the next post.

Marj Talbot said...

Purple, lavender, amethyst, definitely on my faves list. We visited a mine site in Thunder Bay and picked up a few pieces of amethyst - nice keepsake. Your fiddling is very interesting and I'm definitely staying tuned for the next chapter.

Marj Talbot said...

Sorry, my post seemed to be hung in cyberspace so I did it again. Then I see two. Woe!!!!

karen said...

your stitched samples are beautiful Jillayne and I adore the development I see here....I hope you had a wonderful Christmas x

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Well it is looking lovely Jillayne so hope you will continue with this beautiful colour palette in the New Year. Whatever your plans, wishing you and yours much joy and good health in 2015!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a lovely color palette to work with. As always your fine stitching inspires me.

Thank you for sharing so much here I always enjoy visiting.

Have a wonderful 2015 ~ FlowerLady

Rachel said...

I think the thing about neutrals is that the more you get your eye in with them, the more you see.

Dorthe said...

Your neutrals, surely give a soothing feeling to my soul, Jillayne, they are beautiful.
About the lost shine and sparkle of some of your ideas, I guess we can all relate to such experiences...often we are hit of total exitement, only to find it all gone after some time !!!
Wish you a wonderful new year dear , and all the best for you and your family !
Happy New Year Jillayne.
Hugs,Dorthe

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Such a gorgeous palette of colors. Soft and peaceful. Thank you for a special year of inspiring posts.
Wishing you a very Happy New Year.
Hugs!!

Createology said...

Lovely. I have seen taupes and greys turn to the softest lilac in just the right light. Your explorations with fabrics and shapes and colors is very intriguing. Play My Friend...