Monday, November 3, 2014

the accordion rose


 bet that title caught my friend marjorie's attention... she's an accordion player extraordinaire
and a very sweet, kind person, so she certainly is an "accordion rose"

there's another kind though, of the ribbon embroidery sort...

i love it - my favourite ribbon flower of all
 

 pretty in any width of ribbon, any colour

the design below is a free one from di van niekirk
i changed the flowers on her design to accordion roses, clumped tightly together they remind me of a carnation


a single one in pink for effect

this has me dreaming up all manner of monograms...

love the heaviness the wrapped ribbon gives - that technique is also on my "i want to try more..."
list
 that never-ending-always-being-added-to list of mine

in the meanwhile though, i've been adding a little bit to this in my spare time

more gimp

 i did a small cluster of french knots at the top of this bit of gimp and then - well, i just couldn't help myself - i had to add a few tiny beads

it was positively, definitely, undoubtedly hard to stop there

i consoled myself with french knots - a multitude of them, spilling along the length of two different edges

when all else is said and done, i will add beads here and there along the length of these french knot edges


looking at the other edges now, thinking of what choices there are - much as i love the french knots i don't want each seam to be the same


i'm also contemplating the size of these roses - they seem a little weighty to me, a tad big
i used the widest ribbon for them but am now considering removing them and re-stitching them with a narrower ribbon


i just can't bring myself to cutting them off on a whim - what if i'm wrong and once everything else is added - what if then they're just right?

when things niggle at me like this i usually get no peace until i do the deed - they're just so pretty...

roses, and gimp, and silk and beads
i'm in my glory...

9 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

More exquisitely lovely needlework.

You are such an inspiration to me.

FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

Gorgeous roses - love them - love to watch these projects transpire - you just never know what to expect. So perfect.

Karen B. said...

Jillayne,

your work is stunning. Ok, I just added having a few hours working with you to my bucket list. I just love everything you create. You are such an amazing artist.
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

H Jillayne, your needle work is stunning and I love the accordion rose.
A visit here is always an inspiration.
Happy stitching my friend.
Hugs

Mosaic Magpie said...

Glory...yes indeed, you are right in the middle of it! The french knots accented with the twinkle of the beads...stunning.
The ribbon roses are beautiful...leave them for a bit the size adds just another dimension. I know what you mean about it bothering once you notice, something that you think is amiss...I had to redo some stitching in my CQ class...I chose the wrong colors and they screamed at me everytime I passed the hoop.
xo,
Deb

karen said...

leave them, leave them, leave them!!! See flickr!!! Love this...swoon....

Dorthe said...

I love the monogram dear Gillayne, so very lovely and your roses are WONDERFUL ,
Also the ones on the most beautiful piece, you are going on making more and more stunning.
French knots, pearls, roses ,I love it all !
Hugs to you.
Dorthe

Createology said...

I have never seen such a beautiful stitching of Noel...your needle and thread are magical in your hands. Sprinkle of beads and French knots and lace...Oh My!!! Stitch on with Creative Bliss My Friend...

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Perhaps some bullion stitch if the french knots are not what you are envisioning? Loving the roses and perhaps you are right to think they should stay in situ until you have more of your exquisite piece completed, they may be just what the seamstress ordered! Lovely Jillayne, you are the Queen of embellishment!